The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just opened my first bottle...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #1
jrodskreet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default just opened my first bottle...

...after only 6 days. I know, too early. But I do have a question.

While tasting my beer it had the awesome beer taste, and awesome beer look, but after the awesome beer taste it had a strong alcohol taste kinda like a cheap wine aftertaste. So is this what everyone means by "green" beer?

My beer is the Fat Tire extract from Midwest Supplies. I Followed the recipe to the letter. I even did a secondary fermentation. It also had a minute amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle (about dime size). Any Answers would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 PM   #2
flex_318
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How long did you keep it in primary and then secondary? If the beer is just a few weeks old it is quite possibly just a matter of letting it age further and allowing the flavours to mellow out.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

1 week primary 3 weeks secondary.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 700 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 217

What was the fermentation temperature? Ale yeast make higher alcohols, alcohols with more carbon-hydrogen bonds, at the higher end of the yeast's preferred temperature range. The yeast I use will ferment from <60 to >80 degrees but it makes a cleaner beer when it is nearer 60. I like to keep mine between 62 and 65 for that reason.

How long did you leave it in the fermenter? The yeast makes other compounds along with the alcohol. If you leave it in the primary fermenter longer it will process these compounds into alcohol too. I've begun leaving my beer in the primary fermenter for 3 to 4 weeks before bottling.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My temp averaged about 69. But has been from 65 to 72. Its in my back bathroom that nobody uses so i closed the vent in there. But here in the south we've has some hot days and my house would get up to about 78. But my bathroom stayed cooler, I guess from keeping the door shut and lights off.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Yeah I would primary for 3-4 weeks and only secondary if you are dry hopping, adding fruit or oak chips, etc. Either way I am sure you are fine. I dont open my first bottle until atleast 3 weeks now. It doesnt hit its prime until 6-8 weeks. Like always in this hobby, just relax and let the beer do the work. Go get some craft beer to hold you over if you dont have any other homebrews ready to drink. Cheers!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
jrodskreet
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah. I was just mostly curious about if that was what "green beer" tasted like.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I think green beer can be a variety of things. Basically just not giving the yeast enough time to do its job.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

It sounds more like the beer got above 70 degrees, and you have some "fusel alcohols" as a result. Sometimes it can taste like rubbing alcohol.

Remember that fermentation produces heat itself, and it can get about 8-10 degrees warmer than ambient temperature. Your goal is to keep it under about 70 degrees if at all possible.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:48 PM   #10
Lunchtime
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
It sounds more like the beer got above 70 degrees, and you have some "fusel alcohols" as a result. Sometimes it can taste like rubbing alcohol.

Remember that fermentation produces heat itself, and it can get about 8-10 degrees warmer than ambient temperature. Your goal is to keep it under about 70 degrees if at all possible.
I didn't realize it generated heat. It completely makes sense now that I hear it but I will def. keep this in mind for my next brew.

Quick Reply