The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just HOW clean?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2011, 03:52 AM   #1
skelrad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just HOW clean?

I just bottled my first batch (Amber Ale)!! It smells great, but is pretty "sharp" right now. I'm assuming that'll probably mellow out after a few weeks in the bottle.

Anyway, what I'm curious about is clean-up. I sprayed my primary out (bucket) and wiped it down with a towel, but I didn't scrub with anything rougher than that because I've heard scratches are bad. It's left with a very slight yellow color to the bucket (like ivory). I'm just curious if I need to worry about that and soak it with something like oxyclean, or if that color is no big deal and I can just rinse and sanitize for my next batch and not worry about the fact that it's not bright white anymore.

Other than that, my only worry is I didn't get the bottles rinsed out well enough. I got a couple of cases from a guy and they were "clean" but dusty from sitting. I washed with soapy water, then rinsed in the dishwasher before sanitizing. Here's to hoping I got all of the soap out!

Onward to my next batch - a partial grain cream ale!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 03:55 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5980 Times on 5251 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Your primary bucket will get stains over time - especially with darker styles...

you can use oxiclean, but I usually just use a soft sponge and some water.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 AM   #3
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 228 Times on 191 Posts

Oxyclean should get the plastic to completely white or almost completely white if you leave it long enough. A week or so will really whiten that plastic...

However, it isn't necessary unless you get a strong and distinct smell of something after you have cleaned it. If the bucket has a generic beer smell you are fine. If you use fruit or chilies or something you may want to do an oxyclean soak to make sure you don't get those flavors in your next beer.

Old 01-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #4
Smokeater233
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Any chance you used iodine/iodophor for sanitizing?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #5
BIGREDIOWAN
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My biggest worry is the bottles as well. Did you rinse them out well before you put them in the dishwasher? The rinse cycle wouldn't get inside the bottles very well.

"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it's a matter of choice!"

Bottled:Kolsch
Bottled:Black Lager
In Primary:Pumpkin Ale
Planning:

Rolling Hills Brewing Co.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-m...-build-261067/

Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I give all my bottles an oxyclean soak overnight then I rinse them 3X with hot water to get any residue out.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply