Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just got THE Package

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
MasterShake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just got THE Package

So i just got my FedEx from Northern Brewer. Everything was packed nicely and really light. I thought they forgot my Better Bottle but..its so damn light.

So I got all my equipment except for 1 little thing. I had ordered the ported version of a Better Bottle (dunno if thats good or bad) but I forgot to order the little tool they have to install the racking adapter (its like 3 bucks). Does anyone have any other ideas on how to install it without a tool, i mean i could just get a small pipe..

got a couple of other questions, i am planning on brewing on sunday. my kit comes with LME do i need to put it in the fridge? its about 80F in my kitchen...

I put the yeast in the fridge right away, but i am afraid it might be dead..can i smack it 24 hr's prior and leave it in the fridge? see if it inflates or not and then pitch it?

those are all my questions for now

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd put the LME in the fridge or a cooler place.

As for the yeast, just smack it the night before and leave it on the counter to see if it is viable.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
Reedwalker
Recipes 

There is a thread that I once saw in the DIY? section detailing how to install a DIY spigot in a Better Bottle involvong some string and a small piece of wood. I looked briefly but couldn't find it. With more patience than I have you may find some luck. I use the Better Bottles w/o a port and just rack to a bottling bucket. No leaks this way GAURANTEED!

Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:43 PM   #4
Vuarra
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedwalker View Post
There is a thread that I once saw in the DIY? section detailing how to install a DIY spigot in a Better Bottle involvong some string and a small piece of wood. I looked briefly but couldn't find it. With more patience than I have you may find some luck. I use the Better Bottles w/o a port and just rack to a bottling bucket. No leaks this way GAURANTEED!
Your tagline is missing one point... first rule of plumbing is: Don't lick your fingers.

Fermenting: Real Ale, Extract Lager (with WLP830), India Pale Ale

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Pale Ale from the keg

Old 08-20-2009, 11:09 PM   #5
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterShake View Post

I put the yeast in the fridge right away, but i am afraid it might be dead..can i smack it 24 hr's prior and leave it in the fridge? see if it inflates or not and then pitch it?
Smack it now, and if it swells it should be good. After it swells, make a starter for it

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 08-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #6
MasterShake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Smack it now, and if it swells it should be good. After it swells, make a starter for it
i am not really at the point where i am comfortable making a starter...i am still scared about sanitation. think ill just pitch it as is.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
got a couple of other questions, i am planning on brewing on sunday. my kit comes with LME do i need to put it in the fridge? its about 80F in my kitchen...
I would put the LME in the fridge, but I will advise that you remove it from the fridge a few hours before you brew, or even submerge it in warm/hot water prior to brewing. That stuff has a consistency worse than molasses when it's cold, and my arms were exhausted from holding that thing above my brew kettle for 15 minutes waiting for it all to come out.

Quote:
I wouldn't smack it then put it in the fridge. You're liable to put the yeast in to hibernation before they have a chance to do their thing and swell the package. Just smack it the night before as previously stated.

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 08-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
i am not really at the point where i am comfortable making a starter...i am still scared about sanitation. think ill just pitch it as is.
Don't be scared to make a starter, it is extremely simple, all you are doing is growing yeast hence increasing your cell count, reducing lag time and possible off-flavors, promoting an overall healthier fermentation.

I was apprehensive the first time I made a starter, but I would not use a liquid yeast culture without one now. I would postpone brew day before pitching without a starter!

Check out this link: Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

It may take some of the anxiety away.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 08-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
jescholler
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Starters are good for most beers when you use liquid yeast. Two styles that I probably wouldn't make a starter for are certain Belgian styles and Hefeweizens. The amount of yeast you pitch for those beers affects the amount of esters they produce. For those beers you want the esters so it's usually desirable to not make a starter.

If you're not making one of these styles, then I would recommend a starter. For other styles, it depends on your starting gravity. Below about 1.040, you shouldn't need a starter assuming your smack pack is fresh (based on the manufactured date).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Primary: Not until fall :(
Bottle: English Barleywine
On Deck: Session APA, Vanilla Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply