Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just got my equipment....and a big surprise

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2006, 06:10 PM   #21
todd_k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truble
A true starter should go for a couple days, is what I think he meant. basically, it is a mini batch of brew w/o any hops or other additives-just malt water and yeast. The process that he listed is instead of making the starter, since you plan on brewing tonight. It is similiar to the process that I follow every time I brew, except I use dried yeast. You might be even better served by boiling up some water and DME first thing, getting it cooled (below 80*F), and then adding your yeast, and letting it set through the whole brew process.

But I thought the Wyeast products don't need a starter, you can just pour those in. howtobrew.com says to do a starter for the 50ml but not the 170ml because the 170ml already has more yeast cells. Of hand I don't remember how many ml my yeast pouch is but I know it is Wyeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2006, 06:16 PM   #22
Darth Konvel

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Even for the larger packs and tubes you can buy nowadays, it's still a good idea to make a starter. The more yeast, the better. Plus, if you yeast is towards the older end of the spectrum (or they were mishandled, etc), they might not have enough healthy cells to get the jobs done.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #23
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Since I only have used dry yeast so far, I can't comment on that, though I think that most people who use liquid also use a starter. That said, others have pitched it in straight with successful results. I have never been steered wrong by Palmer, though, so I am sure you will be ok. The way I look at it,though, is that starters, and even hydration/proofing serves an important purpose beyond getting the cell count up-it assures you that they yeast you are going to pitch is viable. Better to know what you have before you pitch. Some do, some don't. Since I like to hydrate the dried before I pitch, I just take it that one step further, and it gets my batches going much quicker, and I am satisfied that I am pitching viable yeast. All FWIW

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #24
mpetty
Recipes 

Plus, by using a starter, you can pitch yeast that you are sure is not contaminated. You don't need a starter, but, after cleanliness, it is the number one thing you can do to improve the quality and decrease the contamination rates of your beer.

Primary: What Ale experiment with a friend (10-gallon batch, two fermenters, two yeasts: American Hefeweizen and plain Hefeweizen)
Secondary: None
Bottled Yellow Dog Ale | Oatmeal Stout (1st mini-mash) | Cider: Plain Apple Juice | American Amber Ale| California Common, American Pale Ale
Up next: Extra Special Bitter and another spiced cider

Old 01-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #25
todd_k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish
At least:
After you add your malt extract to your water take, after it goes through hot break, take a ladle full and put it in a bowl, cover it, cool it, add the yeast to this for 30-40 minutes, or until your wort is cool enough to pitch into.
So if I do a starter this way, will I see activity after the 30-40 minutes? And if so, that proves the yeast is OK? What if I don't see any activity?

Also, can anyone answer my prior questions regarding sanitizing in the primary fermenter bucket (I read in palmer that this was ok, again, I will be using a one step sanitizer) and whether to use the glass fermenter or plastic fermenter for the primary?

Again, thanks to everyone for your assistance! Sorry to be such a pain.

Old 01-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #26
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneFloyd
So if I do a starter this way, will I see activity after the 30-40 minutes? And if so, that proves the yeast is OK? What if I don't see any activity?
I'm not sure you will see a whole lot of activity this way...maybe a little foaming.

Quote:
Also, can anyone answer my prior questions regarding sanitizing in the primary fermenter bucket (I read in palmer that this was ok, again, I will be using a one step sanitizer) and whether to use the glass fermenter or plastic fermenter for the primary?
Yes, it's fine to sanitize this way, but it forces you to get everything sanitized and set aside before you start using the primary. IMHO it's best to have a separate bucket to hold the sanitizer, so you can just toss things in as you need them. Also, if you're using iodophor, ten minutes or so will begin to stain your bucket, which isn't that big of a deal, but kind of hard to get past mentally. You didn't say what size your carboy is. If it's 6.5 gallons, then use it for the primary...if it's five gallons then that's your secondary.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 01-28-2006, 05:37 AM   #27
todd_k

Recipes 

Just nearly finished the first day of the first batch, I'm currently at about 78F so I'm waiting for it to cool a little bit more so I can add the yeast starter (which is currently foaming like you said it would EP!)
I took a reading with the hydrometer, accurate temp is 60F, current temp was 74F and the reading was 1.060. Is this good? I tried toconvert it but since this is the first time I'm doing it I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. According to The Bible, it says to add .002-.003 for every 10 degrees over the accurate temp so I think I'm looking at a reading of approx. 1.063 - 1.0645. Again, haven't added the yeast yet since the bucket is still about 78F.

My apartment stinks....

Old 01-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #28
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
My apartment stinks....
stinks! are you mad man!?!?!?! that's the smell of heaven to us
brewers!!!!

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #29
todd_k

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeRoux's Broux
stinks! are you mad man!?!?!?! that's the smell of heaven to us
brewers!!!!
That's easy for you to say, based on your gallery it looks like you brew in your garage!

Old 01-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #30
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's because our wives kicked us out of there. Since we now have more room our system's got bigger. We still hang our heads over the brew pot though. Sniff..Sniff...Yeah Baby!

Last edited by Sir Sudster; 01-29-2006 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply