Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just Getting Started and Kegging to do it..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
GoatLocker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just Getting Started and Kegging to do it..

Just wanted to take a moment and say thanks to everyone that helped me get the kegerator set up..That being said here is the back story..

Wife got me the Mr. Beer for xmas.. instantly pulled it out and made the pale ale extract it came with.. subbed out some of the "activator" for a cup of clover honey and stuck it in to ferment.. just bottled a week ago and tasted yesterday.. I have to say for my first batch im not impressed, but it is drinkable (tastes suspiciously like Miller High Life). I only bottled 3 bottles because I bottled a little prematurely so I left the rest in the fermenter.

A couple days ago I found a deal on CL for a commercial kegerator from a bar that just closed down.. Got a screaming deal on it so I picked it up instead of the starter kit I had been looking at.. While I was at the LHBS picking up a CO2 tank and regulator for the kegerator I noticed they had the corny keg conversion stuff and some kegs so I picked one up and I also picked up the latest edition of "How to Brew". Stopped by the liquor store and picked up a 1/6 keg of Shipyard and a 1/6 keg of Sea Dog.. Now I have beer running all the time and three open taps I still need to run all of the tubing for the corny keg setup today and eventually I would like to be running my right tower with three homebrew kegs and the left tower with two commercial kegs..

Getting past the point though.. first question is, I am thinking about kegging what is left of the Mr. Beer kit and enjoying the "champagne of beers".. any worries other than amount of CO2 used to force keg only 1.5 gallons in a 5 gallon corny keg?

Last question: I am looking at this starter kit from Williams:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/COMPL..._P2351C257.cfm

Is it truly the best deal around right now?? I dont mind paying for the bottling equipment that comes with this since Im sure I will be bottling from the keg some to give to friends and take to meetings and things.. Thanks for all the help and HBT IS THE BEST!!!

-Josh

-Josh, Founder: Goatlocker Brewing Co.
"Don't mess with the Mess!"

Tap #1: Joe Navy's Belgian Quad
Tap #2: Old Ironsides Double Stout
Tap #3: Goatlocker Initiation English Bitter

Waiting for a Tap: Nothing right now..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

To force carb your 1.5 gallons you will want to siphon it in to the keg, not pour it. Hit the keg with about 30PSI, and purge a few times to get all of the O2 out of the keg. This will keep you from oxygenating your "Champagne". After that give it a good rolling around on the floor at that 30psi for about 3-4 minutes. Hit it with the CO2 again at 30PSI and repeat the floor rolling procedure. Purge the keg and set it to your serving pressure, usually 6-10PSI and let it settle down in the kegerator for an hour or so. This works for me, YMMV.

As for the kit it looks like it has pretty much everything you need. You can do 5 gallon full boils and overall make a better end product than you did with the Mr. Beer kit. My only recommendations are that your primary fermenter shouldn't have a spigot and you should pick up an autosiphon for transfers from your fermenter to the kegs. I would also pick up some OxyClean Free for cleaning, and some StarSan for sanitizing, you won't be sorry!

Welcome to the obsession!!!

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply