Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just getting started in Homebrewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #1
mookie44
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just getting started in Homebrewing

Hey all,
I bottled my first batch of homebrewed beer last Sunday and am looking forward to seeing how the final product comes out. At this point, it looks like everything has gone well. I used a kit and brewed a Red Ale. I bought another one to do this weekend of American Amber. I was looking for any suggestions from experienced home brewers around some other types of beer that may be good for a beginner to try. I typically don't like a real bitter or strong hoppy beer and was just looking for some suggestions to possibly try in the near future. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for this "newbie"!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
Beer_Guy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Nut Brown ales and Irish Reds are easy ones. Just keep it simple. If you have the urge to do a fruity beer, go with a wheat beer and go real light on the fruit.

Welcome to the obsession.

“Anyone can drink beer, but it takes intelligence to enjoy beer.” — Stephen Beaumont

No more recipies for me. My beer MUST be mine.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Sammy75
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Pick a style you know you're going to like!

Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #4
drycreek
Recipes 

I've done about 10 different brews and it seems like wheat beers turn out the best for me. So if you like that type of beer, then you might give it a shot.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Based on your preferences, perhaps an english style like an mild, bitter or brown? How about a Scottish 60 shilling ? These styles are all beginner friendly, easy enough to brew with extract and steeping grains.

(FYI, Even tho it's called 'bitter', the style is not all that bitter)

I have a really nice batch recently with the Sam Adams Blackberry Wit Clone from Austin Homebrew, which I did as a partial mash. A belgian wit might also be a good choice if you like the less hoppy / bitter styles.

I would recommend looking at the BJCP style guidelines, or picking up "Brewing Classic Styles" by Jamil Zainesheff; either of these provide great information on all of the different styles of beer, which would help you narrow down your choices based on your tastes.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Chroma914
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great thread - I was about to post the same thing! I haven't begun brewing yet, but my friends and I were thinking of brewing an ESB as our first brew. Would you all agree that an ESB would be a good "homebrew beginners" beer to try? We're not expecting to churn out the best thing we've ever drank, but we don't want to mess up on our first try either

Old 10-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
edie
Recipes 

welcome - very much a newbie here and still using kits, mostly brewers best. each of those have had on the box somewhere something called IBU's. our tastes in beer sounds about the same and we've just been checking the IBU # and going with something low. our next big adventure, i think, is going to be still using a kit but adding a little something. what that little something will be we don't know but you'll probably see my question posted here in a few weeks as to what to add!

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art29101.asp

"IBU stands for International Bittering Unit - the scale used to measure hop bitterness in beer. An IBU is one part per million of isohumulone, an acid derived from hops. If you like the very bitter “bite” of the “Extreme Beers,” a higher IBU would be an indication of that snap."

Old 10-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #8
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

My first was a brewers best red ale, and it turned out great. This one was good at 3 weeks in the bottle, but soooo much better a few month after that. My second one was a german altbier, that was really good also. Dark, but malty, not bitter at all.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM   #9
mlyday
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

look through the kits then check out this link, it should help you with the flavor profiles you are looking for.

http://www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php

Old 10-21-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Stardust
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie44 View Post
Hey all,
I bottled my first batch of homebrewed beer last Sunday and am looking forward to seeing how the final product comes out.
Welcome to the hobby (obsession ) Congrats on getting the first batch bottled. Now comes the hardest part...giving it time to age.

You will get alot of great advice here. Good luck on your second brew

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is
than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Quick Reply