Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just finished by first bottle...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
DarthChunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
Default Just finished by first bottle...

... And I'm very happy. I bottled 3 weeks ago. Carbonation was good; however, not much head to speak of. But the taste was ever so yummy. Even SWMBO concurs.

__________________
Darth Chunky
"To alcohol: the cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems." ~ Homer J. Simpson
DarthChunky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 02:52 AM   #2
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,149
Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Default

If you think that bottle tasted good...wait till you have your last.

Congratulations.

Piece of advice:
1) brew more
B) Save 3-4 bottles and open them on their one-year birthday.
4) When in doubt. refer to item #1.

BierMuncher is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Evanston IL
Posts: 1,864
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Poor hed retention in your beer is often a result of oils or detergents on your glassware...use a no-rinse sanitizer (or just really hot water, no soap) and let them air dry and see if it's any better.

__________________
No signature required.
FlyingHorse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 04:09 AM   #4
DarthChunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
If you think that bottle tasted good...wait till you have your last.

Congratulations.

Piece of advice:
1) brew more
B) Save 3-4 bottles and open them on their one-year birthday.
4) When in doubt. refer to item #1.
Thanks! About # 1... I intend to, as much as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Congrats! Welcome to the club!

Poor hed retention in your beer is often a result of oils or detergents on your glassware...use a no-rinse sanitizer (or just really hot water, no soap) and let them air dry and see if it's any better.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind next time, but I didn't use soap for any of the sanitation. I used bleach + water before brewing and iodophor to disinfect the bottles. Could that cause it?
__________________
Darth Chunky
"To alcohol: the cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems." ~ Homer J. Simpson
DarthChunky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 04:14 AM   #5
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
FlyingHorse's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Evanston IL
Posts: 1,864
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthChunky
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind next time, but I didn't use soap for any of the sanitation. I used bleach + water before brewing and iodophor to disinfect the bottles. Could that cause it?
No, your fine there. I'm talking about your drinking glasses, into which you poured your precious brew. Many a homebrewer has agonized over their process and ingredients tryng to figure out why they weren't ...ummm...getting any head , only to find out that their beer glasses were retaining soap or detergent.
__________________
No signature required.
FlyingHorse is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
DarthChunky
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
No, your fine there. I'm talking about your drinking glasses, into which you poured your precious brew. Many a homebrewer has agonized over their process and ingredients tryng to figure out why they weren't ...ummm...getting any head , only to find out that their beer glasses were retaining soap or detergent.
Oohhh! I didn't even think about that! ... as good as the weakest link, huh? Thanks!
__________________
Darth Chunky
"To alcohol: the cause of -- and solution to -- all of life's problems." ~ Homer J. Simpson
DarthChunky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just finished up shinerfanok Extract Brewing 1 08-01-2009 06:10 PM
So I just finished Duane_Austin Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 05-17-2009 07:51 PM
Just finished 1st AG Peregris All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 08-31-2008 02:55 AM
Finished Pumpkin Ale Bottle RichBrewer Label Display & Discussion 9 11-29-2006 04:28 PM
Just Finished justbrewit General Beer Discussion 10 10-28-2005 01:48 PM