New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just cracked my first home brew! It's good, but it has a weird finish...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:41 PM   #1
RobbieRedBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just cracked my first home brew! It's good, but it has a weird finish...

I can't seem to even describe it. It tastes great when you first start to drink it, but the after taste/finish something is just "off". It is hard for me to even describe what the taste is. I think the best way to describe it is an unpleasent bitterness. I did a clone of Dead Guy Ale if that helps.

I just made a starter and I was planning on brewing my 2nd batch tomorrow which is an IPA and want to figure out what I might have done wrong so I don't do it again. Any help??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Bensiff
Mind Your Business
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 288 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 53

There are lots of maybes in that. I would give folks your recipe and a quick run down of your procedure. Might just be that you don't drink beer nearly as fresh as your homebrew ever so the hops are much more intense than you are used to.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Not knowing much of the details on your process, I would suspect it might be oxydation. Was your wort hot when you transferred it to your fermentation vessel? Or perhaps when you racked to your secondary or bottling bucket you introduced alot of air into the beer and it causes a cardboard like bitterness in the finish.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-25-2010, 11:58 PM   #4
RobbieRedBeard
Recipes 

It wasn't hot when I transfered. When I was transferring to my bottling bucket it started out spewing the brew but I quickly fixed it for a smooth transfer. I would say a cardboard like bitterness is correct. It is not awful, but it is off.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #5
redalert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wait...You may find that after time has passed your brew has gotten much better.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
RobbieRedBeard
Recipes 

It has been in the bottle for 2 weeks..... I fermented it for 4.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My very first batch had oxydation...I know because I took it over to the local brewery and had the brew master sample and ctitique...and he indicated oxydation had that cardboard oddness. Ever since I made sure to be very careful whenever transferring (I rarely secondary now) to not splash or let the air get at my beer. I changed my procedure and I haven't ever had it since (hundreds of gallons later).

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first." - Ronald Reagan

Old 06-26-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
BadgerBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redalert View Post
Wait...You may find that after time has passed your brew has gotten much better.
It might, but if it is oxydation I don't think time heals that. In fact the older my batch got the worse it tasted.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #9
redalert
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We need more details like what kind of water did you use, your ingredients, proccess, and most importantly yeast and fermentation temperature.

Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #10
RobbieRedBeard
Recipes 

From what it sounds like this may be my problem. The cardboard bitterness(though I am not sure if it is cardboardy) seems to be the best way to describe it. The only thing is that I don't think the amount of splashing that happened when transferring to the bottling bucket was enough to cause this taste. Could it have happened when I was pouring back and fourth from my brew kettle to the fermenter when I first started? How much splashing needs to occur for this to take effect?

Quick Reply