Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just brewed my first non Mr. Beer batch.... Yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #11
metanoia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys06Tbss View Post
Ok cool. I still have labels on all these bottles. They are soaking in C Brite right now. I have a quick question about OG. I used the hydrometer that came with the kit. I belive my OG reading was 1.020 @70f. Which according to the table that came with the hydrometer means its at 1.021? According to the instrutions sheet, It should be 1.051 to 1.055. Is this anything that I should be concern about?
Don't even bother taking an OG reading with extract; it's been said that it's near impossible to get an accurate OG reading once having topped off with water since it won't fully mix with the wort right away. Use a calculator to look up what the OG would be with the extract (and any other special grains/adjuncts used) and just use that. If you're getting the extract from any reputable producer, then the extract should match the correct degrees of plato regardless.
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #12
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Ok cool. Now that I think about it, Im guessing that I didnt mix the wort up the best with water. Im not really concern with it as long as the beer tastes good and it has a good end result. Thanks for the help

Old 12-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
The only thing thats keeping me from getting another batch of beer going is my lack of bottles. I currently have about 50. 6 are still full with SNPA and NB Belgo. I should have those finished by the end of the evening with any luck. I might have some access to some Grolsh Bottles too. That will help matters. Or I guess I could stop being cheap and buy some bottles. I do think I want to try some small batches (1 gal or 2.5 gal) So you guys wash bottles in the dishwasher for sanitizing? Or should I scrub each bottle.
If you have a small local bar, some of them will actually save bottles for you, especially if it's one you frequent. I've even went as far as offering a "deposit refund" of a quarter a bottle (about half of new bottles), when I got desperate with a batch I wanted to get bottled.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:38 AM   #14
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
The only thing thats keeping me from getting another batch of beer going is my lack of bottles. I currently have about 50. 6 are still full with SNPA and NB Belgo. I should have those finished by the end of the evening with any luck. I might have some access to some Grolsh Bottles too. That will help matters. Or I guess I could stop being cheap and buy some bottles. I do think I want to try some small batches (1 gal or 2.5 gal) So you guys wash bottles in the dishwasher for sanitizing? Or should I scrub each bottle.
Well you have 2-4 weeks of primary fermentation before you need to bottle. I have 2 batches fermenting now that I only have enough bottles for one, but I have time to get more. Don't let this deter you from feeding your addiction

Old 12-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #15
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Bottles are one of the cheapest investments you can make in your brewing hobby. They aren't consumed like the extracts or grains and they don't wear out. Until you break them they are infinitely (in our lifespans anyway) reusable. Your biggest limitation with bottles is storage room. I only have about 300 bottles on hand now and I'm looking for places to store another 24 or 48 so I can brew another batch.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #16
metanoia
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Until you break them they are infinitely (in our lifespans anyway) reusable.
Or if they get too dirty to clean out (or is worth the effort to do so). I just got back into brewing after 10 months off and I had to recycle 4 bottles the other week when I went to bottle because the mold just wouldn't come out after 3 or 4 different attempts at getting them clean. PBW might have helped, but I only picked that up about a week ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
I only have about 300 bottles on hand now and I'm looking for places to store another 24 or 48 so I can brew another batch.
I've got about 3 batches worth of bottles saved, which works with my current 3 batches going. I really wish I could afford a kegging system right now, but I probably have to wait until tax return time!
On Deck:

Thinking about racking to a secondary? Read this first.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

and I finally have Co2 Bubbles.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

12 hrs later.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Look'n Good!!

Old 12-05-2012, 01:29 AM   #20
Hogarthe
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

looks like you have everything under control, the krausen is forming and the temp strip is reading in the 60's. I think your beer will turn out good. My first batch, I had no way of controlling the temp and the beer came out pretty bad. Welcome to the obsession....

Quick Reply