Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just brewed my first non Mr. Beer batch.... Yesterday

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 PM   #1
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Just brewed my first non Mr. Beer batch.... Yesterday

Ive been really busy so I didnt get a chance to make this thread till now. I ordered a deluxe brewing kit from Northern and then found out there is Local brew store semi close to my house. I canceled my order and drove out there so I could pick up a kit. I ended up getting a True Gold Brew kit with a 6 gallon plastic carboy and a 5 gallon glass carboy. I picked up a BB American Pale Ale extract kit and decided to get to it when I got home. The last time I attempted to brew anything was with Mr. Beer kit that I got a few years ago... My mom was kind enough to get me that instead of a Monster Brew kit that I really wanted. Had I received the Monster Brew I have a feeling I would be been bit by the hop bug alot sooner. The Mr. Beer brew turned out terrible. I drank about 5 bottles then dumped the rest. For some reason I had the itch to brew once again so I decided to make the jump. Back to yesterday... Everything went good. Took about 3 hours to sanitize and brew my first batch... Its sitting in my fermentor right now. I was a little suprised that this am when I checked it, there was little to no bubbles. I thought the Mr beer was foamy right away. I checked it about 30 min and there are three groups of small bubbles sitting on top of my wort and the air lock it twitching so Im sure something is going on. Anyhow that is all I have for now. Im debating buying another carboy and starting another batch already though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 573 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 184

It definately gets addicting that way, ive got about two cases of pints working on carbination now, a batch in primary bubbling away and wondering if I should sneak away to the LHBS while the wife naps so I can get another recipe started!

Old 12-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

It is addicting! I've bought several buckets, and got several more from the local grocery store. I have too many now, but that's OK. Eventually I'll get into mead too and aging barleywine.

I get $70/month for supplies, but often come closer to $100. And once I've ordered my stuff I'm back to looking for new recipes and filling my cart back up!

MoreBeer certainly likes me!

Oh, and I love checking on my beers and smelling the airlocks! Mmmm!

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day

Old 12-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #4
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

If you keep the fermenter cool (low to mid 60's) the ferment will go slow. No blow offs, no fusel alcohols, no nasty off flavors. It's the single change that got me brewing better beers.

The plastic carboys are much safer than the glass as when you drop them they will bounce or maybe dent or crack but no razor sharp glass fragments scattered about. If you can forgo looking at the beer as it is fermenting (voyeur, those yeasts are reproducing in there) the plastic buckets are nice to work with. Cheap, wide opening to pour the wort into, easy to reach in to clean, and they come with handles for moving them around. The downsides are the may not seal the lid so you can't watch the airlock bubble and they are more easily scratched than glass.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
Erich8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
If you keep the fermenter cool (low to mid 60's) the ferment will go slow. No blow offs, no fusel alcohols, no nasty off flavors. It's the single change that got me brewing better beers.

The plastic carboys are much safer than the glass as when you drop them they will bounce or maybe dent or crack but no razor sharp glass fragments scattered about. If you can forgo looking at the beer as it is fermenting (voyeur, those yeasts are reproducing in there) the plastic buckets are nice to work with. Cheap, wide opening to pour the wort into, easy to reach in to clean, and they come with handles for moving them around. The downsides are the may not seal the lid so you can't watch the airlock bubble and they are more easily scratched than glass.
I love watching those yeasties.... ANYWAYS. I am about to pick up a deep freeze and a temperature controller to regulate my fermentation. Been having a lot of blow off issues so hopefully that takes care of it. And just to think... 2 months ago I had never even thought of brewing.. welcome back to the addiction!

Old 12-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Welcome Virgin!! It only gets better from here.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The only thing thats keeping me from getting another batch of beer going is my lack of bottles. I currently have about 50. 6 are still full with SNPA and NB Belgo. I should have those finished by the end of the evening with any luck. I might have some access to some Grolsh Bottles too. That will help matters. Or I guess I could stop being cheap and buy some bottles. I do think I want to try some small batches (1 gal or 2.5 gal) So you guys wash bottles in the dishwasher for sanitizing? Or should I scrub each bottle.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
SavoryChef
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 34

If I bottle, I soak with oxy clean overnight, rinse then sanitize with star san.

Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
Rys06Tbss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Ok cool. I still have labels on all these bottles. They are soaking in C Brite right now. I have a quick question about OG. I used the hydrometer that came with the kit. I belive my OG reading was 1.020 @70f. Which according to the table that came with the hydrometer means its at 1.021? According to the instrutions sheet, It should be 1.051 to 1.055. Is this anything that I should be concern about?

Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
bobot
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 45

2 weeks ago I got a low og reading because I did not mix the "top off" water into the wort very well. If you are using extract kits, and you followed the directions, you can trust the og that your kit advertises.

Quick Reply