Just brewed AHS Cream Ale - not sure what fermentation temp should be

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walrusbt

Reaction score
Title says it all - just finished brewing and realized I don't know the ideal fermentation temp. I've read through the instructions but the only temperature references I see are for how much to cool the wort (to 80 degrees before adding cool water on a partial boil), and references to the liquid yeast temp (I used nottingham dry yeast). I have a freezer with temp controller and it's set at 67 right now. This seems to line up with a couple general cream ale searches I did, but I spent money on a freezer and controller to make sure I got temps correct, now I feel like I'm guessing. I can call AHS in the morning, but if any of you have done this recipe before or just know what the temp should be, I'd appreciate your insight.

67 is a good temp, you should be able to just let it sit in the primary for a couple weeks and you should be ok. Anywhere from 60 to 72 is ideal temperature

Notty can be used for lager type ales, which Cream Ale is, but you need a lower temp. The ideal range for any cream ale I'd say is 65 or less. You want to limit the fruity esters as much as possible and get a very high attenuation. Did the kit come with Notty? Personally I've made very good cream ales with SafAle US-05 fermented @ 63 for 2 weeks, then cold crashed @ 50 for 1 week. If you ferment over 65 your beer won't be bad, but it won't be as "clean" as a true cream ale should be. But don't worry, at 67 you're beer will still taste great :)

Notty can be used for lager type ales, which Cream Ale is, but you need a lower temp. The ideal range for any cream ale I'd say is 65 or less. You want to limit the fruity esters as much as possible and get a very high attenuation. Did the kit come with Notty? Personally I've made very good cream ales with SafAle US-05 fermented @ 63 for 2 weeks, then cold crashed @ 50 for 1 week. If you ferment over 65 your beer won't be bad, but it won't be as "clean" as a true cream ale should be. But don't worry, at 67 you're beer will still taste great :)

The cream ale came with a choice of a White Labs Cream Ale Blend WLP080, White Labs California Ale V WLP051, Wyeast American Ale II, or the Nottingham. When searching for something for my first brew, I came across a couple posts on cream ale where people talked about how much they liked the Nottingham, and it being a dry yeast seemed a little easier for the first brewing attempt. If I like the cream ale and do another I'll be sure to check out the SafAle US-05. I've gone ahead and lowered the temperature to 63. Did you do 2 weeks in the primary I assume then cold crash? Thanks toboth of you for your responses.:mug:

For an ale that's under 1.050 and light in color I'll give it 2 weeks in the primary at fermentation temp, so ~63 for a cream ale. When the FG is stable I'll lower the temp 15-20 degrese and let it sit for another week. There are many many threads where people debate/discuss the best temp and length of time for a cold crash, long story short; there's really no wrong way to do it so experiment :)

I've used the White Labs Cream Ale Blend but honestly the US-05 came out better for my recipe. Dry yeast is also easier/cheeper to work with as you'll need 2-3 vials of liquid or have to make a starter to get the same number of yeast cells as an 11g packet.

Back