Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just bought my first brew kit!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #1
candlejackstraw
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just bought my first brew kit!

Hey everyone!
Just wanted to start off saying hello since I'm new this this forum. I just bought my first brew kit online, from mrbrew.com, however, I didnt bother buying any of the actual brew kits. I went into the spare parts section of the website and wound up just buying a fermenter, empty bottles and extracts kits. wound up just costing me around 25 bucks for a "brew kit" instead of 50, though i didnt get an beer kit with it. (so in actuality i saved about 15 bucks) So ne way, I was curious where i could find information about adding spice ingredients to a beer, such as cinammon and stuff. In addition to what types of beers those spices are usually added to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
twistedbrew
Recipes 

Hey buddy.

I am new to the brew game as well, sounds like you got a good deal on kits.

In regards to spices etc.. I would suggest making a few brews first so you can see what it tastes like and how the process works then work out what sort of spices you will want.

There are loads of recipes around this site once you are ready to start adding flavors.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:20 AM   #3
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Take it all back and abandon this hobby while there is still time to salvage your money, your marriage, and your sanity!!!!!

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle dixie?

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:21 AM   #4
HillbillyDeluxe
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

NAH i'm just BS'n ya. I still have money. Welcome to the obsession.

You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle dixie?

Possum Knob Brewery and Stables
Possum Knob, KY.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just out of curiosity.... did you get tubing, racking cane, bottling bucket, and hydrometer?

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 09-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #6
Kickass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed a Christmas beer which i added clove and allspice during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Here's the thing with spices, you can't take anything out that you've added. Start at very moderate levels and work your way up if its not enough for your taste. If you're intent on spiced beers don't let anyone talk you out of it, i's YOUR beer.

Finally, it sounds like you're trying to save a few bucks but I'd suggest a book or two. I have 3, The Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd edition, Home brewing for dummies, and The Brewmasters Bible. I recomend all three.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 AM   #7
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickass View Post
I just brewed a Christmas beer which i added clove and allspice during the last 10 minutes of the boil. Here's the thing with spices, you can't take anything out that you've added. Start at very moderate levels and work your way up if its not enough for your taste. If you're intent on spiced beers don't let anyone talk you out of it, i's YOUR beer.

Finally, it sounds like you're trying to save a few bucks but I'd suggest a book or two. I have 3, The Complete Joy of Home Brewing 3rd edition, Home brewing for dummies, and The Brewmasters Bible. I recomend all three.
Yes.... and get a hydrometer.....

Primary - Plain Pub Bitter

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 09-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #8
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

Im dying to make a spice mead!! Just tried one of my spiced meads, and its great, shoulda added more, but you can always add more after, same difference

Im intrested though in make a beer from some strong spice/herbs such as anise/fennel, wormwood, and other stuff thats in jagermeister, would be cool to have a hint of that taste in a beer.

If your new to brewing the beer kits or hopped malt extract will take you a long way!! They come out so good, and so little work has to be done. A racking cane, hydrometer, will take you a long way!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #9
Kickass
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sum1Stu View Post
Im intrested though in make a beer from some strong spice/herbs such as anise/fennel, wormwood, and other stuff thats in jagermeister, would be cool to have a hint of that taste in a beer.
You should brew a christmas beer with a little jager in the secondary. There's still time if you started soon.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
candlejackstraw
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaton View Post
Just out of curiosity.... did you get tubing, racking cane, bottling bucket, and hydrometer?
nah not yet, I actually found a local wine place that has some brewing supplies, im gonna head over there and see what they have.

Though i didnt bother with tubing since the mr beer has the spigot and can just bottle straight from that....unless im mistaken?

Quick Reply