Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just bottled my first batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
C38368
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Just bottled my first batch!

After many, many moons (well, weeks, at least) of reading and thinking and wondering and pulling triggers, I finally got beermaking kit.

And then I brewed a beer.

Three weeks in the fermenter, and today into bottles.

I started with seven, maybe seven-and-a-half gallons in the brewpot, and wound up getting almost five exactly into the fermenter. In hindsight, I think I should've topped it off; I wound up losing about half a gallon during bottling, mostly because I couldn't get the last inch or so out of the fermenter without hauling lots of yeast along with it.

End result: two dozen full, 22oz bottles. Plus one, mostly full bottle; we'll see if that one actually comes through or not. So hopefully, in a couple of weeks I'll have a beer that's at least halfway decent. I'm excited! The kit, which came with my equipment, is a rather generic "light ale" whose ABV should be about 3.9%, if I read the gravities correctly. We'll see...

Turns out that beer is easier to brew than I always figured. But it sure takes longer than I expected!

Primary: Little Lion IPA v2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Little Lion IPA (v2), Proud Kitty Pale Ale, and one last bottle of the weird brown ale that wanted to be an Oud Bruin when it grew up.
On deck: Cascadia, a CDA, or a stout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 12:35 AM   #2
brewjamin_Franklin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm right there with you man. I just bottled my first batch, and I now have 44 bottles of APA. There wasn't quite enough to fill up the 45th bottle, so I tasted what I made. It was pretty good, can't wait till its got some carb and more age on it.

BTW Go Ducks

Old 04-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
Donnieivanhoe
Recipes 

Nice job! I just opened( a bit early I might add) my first bottle of my first home brew an ipa. Wow I'm so psyched. Already have another batch fermenting. I'm hooked.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #4
lumpher
Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 15

welcome, all, to the world of good beer. now you get to learn beer even has flavor

Taps:
1: Yeti RIS clone
2: Mangrove Hefe
3: Barkshack Gingermead
4: Oatmeal Stout
5: Bavarian Wheat
6: Premium Lager

Fermenting: Concord Wine, ESB

Old 04-01-2012, 05:26 AM   #5
brewjamin_Franklin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I hear you, after a week I racked my first batch to a secondary and brewed a wit. Can't wait to try it too

Old 04-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #6
C38368
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpher View Post
welcome, all, to the world of good beer. now you get to learn beer even has flavor
Oh, I've known that for awhile! Heck, it's impossible to live in Oregon, drink beer, and not realise that after a spell.

But this is so much more fun and, in the end, affordable!

Primary: Little Lion IPA v2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Little Lion IPA (v2), Proud Kitty Pale Ale, and one last bottle of the weird brown ale that wanted to be an Oud Bruin when it grew up.
On deck: Cascadia, a CDA, or a stout.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2106 Times on 1844 Posts
Likes Given: 1554

It's always great when a recipe comes out good. Not to mention,brewing the beers you like cheaper than you can buy them. It's great when you pop that first one,& get clear beer with good head & carbonation. Take a whiff,then that first swallow. Oh yeah,it don't get better than that.

Quick Reply