Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just bottled first batch - whats the best temp for carbing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #1
Stinkyking
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just bottled first batch - whats the best temp for carbing

Just finished brewing my first batch of homebrew (Brewers Best - American Pale Ale). The basement where I've been working is a steady 60 degrees. Fermentation seemed to go fine - will it carbonate at that temp? I've got limited storage options. I can move it into a cabinet in the kitchen, but that gets close to 80 degrees when we run the dishwasher.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:51 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

And even carbonation doesn't mean that they will not still be green and need more time to condition....

That belgian strong needed another 6 months before it even became drinkable....

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience."

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 AM   #3
thristy
Recipes 

If you fermented at 60 then it will carb at 60 may take a couple extra weeks past the 3 week norm

Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2712 Times on 1630 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Quote:
Originally Posted by thristy View Post
If you fermented at 60 then it will carb at 60 may take a couple extra weeks past the 3 week norm
It really doesn't really matter what temp it fermented at.....You don't carb a lager at near freezing temps. You carb and condition everything as close or above 70 as you can get.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Stinkyking
Recipes 

Thanks guys - found a nice 67-68 degree spot that was acceptable to SWMBO.

Quick Reply