Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Jug of Mead that's been sitting a while...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
kramer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Jug of Mead that's been sitting a while...

Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #2
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1122 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 1268

Definitely drink! If you have a way to transfer to a glass container for longer aging that would be even better. At my last homebrew club meeting a guy shared some 6 year old peach mead that was 15% abv and very smooth from the aging.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
FloridaCracker
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Drink away. I seriously doubt there is anything harmful in there.. If it's been in a plastic container that isn't rated 1 (Like PET bottles) then you may have some oxidization which can affect taste... But I don't think you'll have a problem.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
kramer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Okay....took some sips. A little harsh. It's not really a mead, I forgot. It's a brown sugar alcohol.....what would that technically be? Has a fairly heavy taste that's very similar to a whiskey where the malt has been dried with peat. Really peaty tasting. Not sure that's a good thing in a beer.

Old 07-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hmmm - mole-asses wine? The one beer I added molasses to ended up bitter (not from hops), woody, unpleasant. Of course, brown sugar has molasses in it. It probably won't get any better than it is now.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

kramer Likes This 
Old 07-02-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?
6 months is about the beggining of taste testing for mine.
might taste plasticy depending on the jug, most cider is in milk jugs and juice in PET, but there is nothing to be done about it now.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
kramer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks guys. Yea, for sure molasses wine was not the best idea. I guess that's why it has been sitting for so long. To clarify, it's still in the fermenter. The jug was the fermenter. Thus, the yeast/trung is still on the bottom. I just poured a glass real carefully. Tastes like a REALLY peaty whiskey (like an Islay).....or maybe burning brakes

Packs a wallop though

Quick Reply