Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Jamil's Belgian Dark Strong cloying

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Wow.. is that supposed to be "cloning" or is it really "cloying"?

Cloying means disgust..

I think I'd like to try that recipe in the near future....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 492 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 805

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill View Post
Wow.. is that supposed to be "cloning" or is it really "cloying"?

Cloying means disgust..

I think I'd like to try that recipe in the near future....
"Cloying - A beer that is overly sweet to the point of being unpleasant."

http://www.beertutor.com/glossary/glossary.shtml

I didn't think I made it up!

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #13
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 139

I just brewed this recipe a few weeks ago! I did the AG recipe, measured the SG after 2 weeks and I was at 1.022, started at 1.103. This is good attenuation on such a big beer, especially considering there are 2 lbs of crystal malts in there. I'm guessing if you used extract, your FG might be a tiny bit higher.

As others have mentioned, on bigger beers it helps to raise the temperature a bit toward the end. This is important with Belgian yeasts especially, if the temp drops a bit they've been known to flocc out and quit on you.

I used a much larger starter than you did, I went with Jamil's calculator on mrmalty.com and ended up doing a 2L starter, on a stir plate, with 2 smack packs. The yeast he recommends is the Rochefort yeast, you can easily get it from Wyeast or White Labs.

I'm excited to try this beer in 6+ months. What's your fermentation schedule? I'm planning a 4 week primary then right into the bottle. I'm not going to add any extra yeast, I plan to age it for a while so it'll carb up eventually.

Here's a relevant tidbit:

http://www.brewlikeamonk.com/?p=35

If you read that carefully, you'll see that Jamil aged this for 4 years before entering it in the competition. That's a long time to wait.

Good luck with yours! I'll post back in a few months when I crack a bottle.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #14
zachattack
Recipes 

Oh, I forgot to say that I did drink my hydro sample when I tested it a couple weeks in. I would say mine was sweet but certainly not cloying. I agree with what others said, once it's aged, cold, and carbed up it'll taste completely different. Especially since he recommends carbing a little higher than normal, it'll really lighten it up.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #15
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

Yeah, it was all grain for me as well Zach. My temperature control has been very tight as well. but I'll do a sample later today.

Your starter was bigger then mine, but if I can get down to 1.022 on my sample tonight, I'd be pretty stoked. Today is 2 weeks exactly. I think my starter was big enough. The calculator on beersmith has yet to steer me wrong, but I have noticed that Mr. Malty's calculator is more prone to recommend larger starters then the beersmith one.

Regarding the yeast, I live in a place with no LHBS so I stock up whenever I'm down south or up north. When I bought the grain and the yeast til when I brewed didn't allow time for an internet delivery, but I LOVE Rochefort, and would've used it if possible.

Maybe in a couple of years we should swap bottles of this? LOL.

I assume you're going to bottle condition vs. keg?

Edit: Mr. Malty and Beersmith both recommended 1L starter for me (4.75G batch).

First Brew was thanksgiving 2011, I'm at 103 batches and counting (as of 11/11/2014), and ran out of room in my signature to list them all.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #16
zachattack
Recipes 

I wish I was set up for kegging! I'll be bottle conditioning though. How was your mash efficiency? This was my first big beer and my efficiency took a huge hit, going from ~80% down to ~65%. I had to add a little DME to bring the gravity back up, but oh well.

Haha we should definitely swap bottles! I think I'm going to have to bring mine to my parents' house and hide it in their basement, if I keep them anywhere near me there's no way they're going to last more than a few months. I picked up a pack of the O2 absorbing bottle caps and hopefully they'll do their thing and the beer will age well.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #17
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

My mash efficiency was also 65%. That grist was THICK! My forearms felt like I had been rock climbing by the time I finished dough in!

Luckily for me, I had a buddy who slowly dumped grain in as I stirred, helping me out quite a bit.

In the end, I just boiled off to get to my desired OG. My recipe called for a 5 G batch, but I only ended up w/ 4.75...probably less by the time I transfer and leave the trub and cake at the bottom.

It's cool to talk to someone else who is fermenting this beer! I bought BLAMonk and Classic styles just for this recipe/brew.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #18
zachattack
Recipes 

It's reassuring that your efficiency was as low also! I'm doing full boils indoors on my regular kitchen (gas) stove, which works OK even with a 7G boil volume, but unfortunately my boiloff rate has been a consistent 0.5 gallons per hour. So it was much easier for me to add DME than boil it down. I got at least 5.5 gallons in the carboy though, so more beer for me

I got BCS as a good basic recipe book when I started AG this winter, and I actually just got BLAM yesterday, I wish I'd read it sooner but it seems like it's going to be a great read.

Yeah the 23 lb grain bill (or whatever it was) was ridiculous. But I saved some of the spent grains and made some really good peanut butter chocolate chip cookies with them, due to the low efficiency (and all the special B!) there was plenty of sugar left in there. I even froze a ziplock of the grains so I can make the cookies again.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #19
zachattack
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer View Post
Y
Edit: Mr. Malty and Beersmith both recommended 1L starter for me (4.75G batch).
Did you use two packs/vials in the starter? I think that's what he said to do for mine (unless I wanted a 3.5L starter), though I put in 5.5 gallons as the batch. I think it came out to 1.8L or something, I exaggerated a tiny bit. Maybe your yeast was a lot fresher?

This was my first time with my DIY stir plate and I was amazed at the difference. I had activity in the flask after 20 minutes and it was completely fermented 12 hours later.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
Recipes 

No, I only used one. I just checked my work, and you're right Mr. Malty recommended two vials for a 1L (slightly more so I exagerrated a bit too).

Beersmith interestingly, tells me that I only need 1 vial/1L/stirplate/96% viability (the yeast was VERY fresh actually) to get 397B cells, and it calculated that I needed 350 for proper pitching.

Mr. Malty I've noticed the growth factor is the biggest determinant if it recommends 1 vs. 2 vial pitches.

Quick Reply