Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Jack Daniels lager *HELP*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #1
cheese_octopus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Jack Daniels lager *HELP*

I'm thinking of starting my next (read: second) homebrew project a jack daniels lager! However, I am not skilled in the art of home brewing and would appreciate any help with this. Basically I need a step by step recipe to walk me through the process. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
bellmtbbq
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Uhh... I guess you could make a Bavarian black lager, a dunkel, you could add some whiskey,

but a light lager with JD is a truly terrible idea hahahaha

What Id do is brew a Baltic/robust porter, ferment it with lager yeast like many Baltic porters are, and add JD

Not that difficult. Buy a porter kit, buy some Bavarian lager yeast (doesn't much matter what strain), rack into secondary, add JD (someone will comment how much), wait a week, bottle

Remember most lager strains need a 45-60 F fermenting temp and significant 32-40 F lagering

Check out my blog! Lambic brewday!

Fathom Brewing

-TF

Old 01-23-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 207 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Im just going to toss it out there, ignore it if you want.

Don't start experimenting mixing things so early. If its only your second time stick to the basics and make sure you get those things like temperature, yeast count etc down with a good known recipe before you start doing things like making JD Lagers lol..

Old 01-23-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 569 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 156

First of all lagers are one of the hardest of styles of beer to make, requiring strict temperature control during fermentation.

Not many incorporate whiskey in the recipe.
My suggestion is to stick with simple recipes or kits until you know what you are doing. Then attempt something like this.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
Jeepaholic
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do you have access to a fermentation chamber? If not than its not possible to do a lager. However I have a cream ale that many people have mistaken for a lager.

My opinion is hold off on this until you have more experience that and this sounds horrible to me. But I would love to be proved wrong.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
cheese_octopus
Recipes 

Thanks for the help guys! I'll take your advice for now and keep plugging away at a simple beer.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #7
Jbird
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze
Im just going to toss it out there, ignore it if you want.

Don't start experimenting mixing things so early. If its only your second time stick to the basics and make sure you get those things like temperature, yeast count etc down with a good known recipe before you start doing things like making JD Lagers lol..
Yea I have been brewing for a year like, 6 brews now, but still use a kit. I would love to all grain and get crazy with my beers but I just want to get the technique down before I do so. I would recommend doing the same. Not that you can't but you may find that you do not have all the right equipment and it is expensive to be buy. I still don't have all the stuff I need and I have spent a lot of money. Just something to think about.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbird View Post
Yea I have been brewing for a year like, 6 brews now, but still use a kit. I would love to all grain and get crazy with my beers but I just want to get the technique down before I do so. I would recommend doing the same. Not that you can't but you may find that you do not have all the right equipment and it is expensive to be buy. I still don't have all the stuff I need and I have spent a lot of money. Just something to think about.
Hell, I don't have all the stuff I need and I've been brewing a few years now, over a few hundred gallons alone last year. I buy grains and hops in bulk when I can, and I still need more equipment.

As stated earlier, get your technique down and don't worry about lagers for a while, they are hard to master, and many who brew here ignore them because of the difficulty in brewing a good one. If you want to do something JD there are a few bourbon stouts and porters that may be a way you want to try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 02-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #9
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

That sounds... not very good. Maybe in a big dopplebock?

Old 02-01-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1852 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

I agree that more experience should be sought before trying lagers. But there are some bourbon ale kits out there thast you might enjoy as a first go at using wood chips & bourbon. They can overpower a beer quite easilly if too much is used.
UI'm going to brew up a dark lager from a fellow member here with a couple minor changes. I don't have the equipment to lager yet either. So I chose the white labs 029 German ale/kolsh yeast vial from midwest. It give a clean,lager-like ale according to them,& ideal ferment temp range is 65-69. right up my alley as an ale brewer, It'll also incorporate what I call a "micro mash" with .5lb of rauchmalt & a couple real small additions of specialty/roast malts. Once you get used to how things work,you can then start doing things like this. Get some experience & a good process down first. That's pretty much what most of us did.

Quick Reply