Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > I've noticed Northern Brewer changed their British Bitter recipe.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
F250
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Default I've noticed Northern Brewer changed their British Bitter recipe.

I brewed a batch of this a couple 3 months ago and really liked it so I ordered another kit and cooked it up yesterday. While going through the kits ingredients to make sure everything was in order I noticed the LME was Maris Otter, which makes sense but somehow seemed odd. Sure enough after I pulled out the recipe sheet I had saved from the first batch, I see they've switched from Golden Light LME to the Maris Otter.

This should be good I'd think, should be a little more authentic, but I'm slightly surprised they didn't mention it in the kit description. No biggie, but it'll be interesting to see what difference flavor wise it makes.

I also notice that if I purchase the ingredients separately, I can save $2.00 per batch.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I think they have recently introduced the Maris Otter LME, it was probably not our the last time you ordered.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
F250
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoney645 View Post
I think they have recently introduced the Maris Otter LME, it was probably not our the last time you ordered.
Makes sense.

Rick

Primary - Big Pale Citra Ale (AG)(1.063)
Secondary - Bitter (AG)
Bottled - Best Bitter, Bitter, SNPA clone
On deck - Tank #7 clone.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You should be happy with the change.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 12-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 443

Yeah, when they first released the Maris Otter LME, they subbed it into a bunch of their kits at the same time. I think there was a page or two in their catalog at the time announcing which had been switched. Or maybe it was just something on the website.

Regardless, it should be a switch for the better. I'm looking forward to finally having a bottle of my first batch using the Maris Otter LME. I used it in a robust porter and I've been chilling a bottle for a few days and I can hardly wait to taste it. Was planning on tasting it when I brew my next batch tomorrow, but I might have to try it tonight instead. (sorry for going )

Bottled - a sour mashed Berliner Weisse; Cascade Pale Ale; Hop Wine - an Imperial India Pilsner Ale; Guajillo Ancho Brown Ale; Back To School Porter, an Imperial Robust Porter with vanilla beans added

Quick Reply