Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > It's called homebrew not freebrew!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Shaft333
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default It's called homebrew not freebrew!

I got a text from a family member who's been wanting some of my beer. It said something along the lines of, "so, if I brought you 12 pack of empty bottles. Would I get them back full of home brew?"

He's been wanting to buy it (can't), have me deliver it (without offering any tacos), and now just going for the handouts (and not just a couple; he's shootin' for 25%!!!!). I appreciate that he's a fan, but the man needs to understand that I brew for the fun of brewing, drinking something special, a bit of braggery, and the fellowship of tipping a couple back with a bud or two. But I'm not looking to start passing it out like the clerk at the packaged goods store.
The kicker is that he's family so I still got'ta be tactical about turning his offer of filling bottles for him down. Otherwise I will catch hell from others about being stingy or something (damn right I'm stingy!)

I know some of you have dealt with similar stories.

I figure I may have this guy come over on a brew day so he can see what goes into it. But he still isn't getting 25% without bringing over at least a burrito!

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #2
phenry
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't think I've ever had this problem. I send a 12 pack to my grandparents every now and then, but I brew so much that's hardly ever enough to miss. And I can't really say it's an unfair trade, they live 15 minutes from my apartment and feed me great home cooked meals all the time instead of me relying on my own will to cook.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

If I hoarded my brew it would never get drunk.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Tell him to go to the LHBS and pick up his favorite recipe along with a couple cases of bottles....bring them over with at least a 6 pack to drink while your brewing....and teach him how!! He can come back over to help you sanitize and bottle!!

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
Double_D Likes This 
Old 12-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #5
mcarb
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sounds like the guy has tried to buy it from you but you refused that, so what other options does he have?

I have been having a similar issue. I have a brewbuddy that sometimes comes over to brew on my equipment since he can only do extracts. I don't mind because we usually experiment and it's always fun to have someone else brew.

But he always seems to show up late after I have done all of the heavy lifting to get the gear setup, then leaves after the boil before I clean everything up. So basically, we split the cost and the beer, and I get to do the cleanup and setup by myself.

To that, I say BS. I will brew alone from now.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #6
HerbieHowells
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts

As someone building a pipeline, I understand why you get a little stingy. But helibrewer has the right idea. Have him come over for a brew day, and actually contribute ingredients and labor. In exchange, he gets his share of the beer from that brew day.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
Shaft333
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarb View Post
Sounds like the guy has tried to buy it from you but you refused that, so what other options does he have?
Same thing people do when folks get their beer at the store. Hang out with them and drink it - supply tacos if they're supplying beer.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbieHowells View Post
As someone building a pipeline, I understand why you get a little stingy. But helibrewer has the right idea. Have him come over for a brew day, and actually contribute ingredients and labor. In exchange, he gets his share of the beer from that brew day.

This. Even if he doesn't help brew and bottle, have him pay for the whole batch. Then he gets the whole batch.

Oh, and he brings a burrito, too.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have to say that I admire your insistence on payment in Mexican food.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
NordeastBrewer77
NBA Playa
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1074 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 3977

I just gave my neighbors an 18 pk of pumpkin ale since they supplied one of the pumpkins used, so a burrito is a damn fair price for a 12 pk of tasty homebrew, if ya ask me.
Sharing's nice, and I'm always one to hand out my brews freely, but it's also nice to know your friends/family appreciate the effort put into brewing good beer.
That said, I know quite a few people that are getting homebrew in their stocking this year.

Brewin' 'n' Que'n - YouTube Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
can i drink this? I mean. Im gunna. But is it fine?
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoitsmatt View Post
it's not a barley wine. it's an ale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post
Have you seen the price of ketchup lately? And I'm not talking Heinz.

Quick Reply