The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Its been 96 hours and nothing...now what

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 03:45 AM   #1
neb_brewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Its been 96 hours and nothing...now what

Hello all,

Like the title says it has been 96 hours since I pitched my yeast and there has been no fermentation yet. Here are the details on everything:

Northern Brewer Kolsch Kit and I decided to go with the dry yeast for my first brew.

"Fermentables
1 lbs. Pilsen Dry Malt Extract (boil for 60 min.)
6 lbs. Pilsen Malt Syrup (boil for 15 min.)

Boil Additions
1 oz. Tradition (60 min)
1 oz. Hallertau Select (30 min)

If you choose dry yeast
Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75° F."

I did a full boil and didn't run into any problems with the brewing process. I used the IWC that my dad and I built and it worked incredibly well. We cooled the wort down to around 65 degrees in 15-20 minutes. Which we thought was perfect according to our instructions that said 65-75. We pitched (without rehydrating) the yeast and carried it downstairs to our basement closet.

Now, days before I stared my first brew I confirmed that this closet would work with the suggested temperature range suggested with the kit(59-75). After watching the temperature stay at a very consistent 68.5 degrees, I thought it would be perfect for fermenting my kolsch.

I watched the fermentation very closely for the next couple of days and got very worried when I didn't see anything happening but I waited 72 hours like the sticky suggests and still didn't see anything. I decided to email Northern Brewer with an explanation of the situation and this is the reply that I got(at the time I haden't yet checked my gravity):

"The gravity reading will be the only sure way to know if fermentation is taking place; I would bet that it is. If for some reason it isn't, the usual culprit is a temperature that is too low for the yeast. In this case you would want to warm the carboy up so it's within the temp range of the yeast and give it a swirl to re-suspend the yeast. "

I thought that I was well within the range for the yeast according to the instructions......

Tonight I checked my gravity to confirm what has been going on. My OG was 1.053 and tonight when I checked it was again 1.053.

I guess at this point I'm looking for what I can do now. I know that swirling is an option but I just wanted to check with you guys on how vigorous of a swirl that I need to do, ie. what is the goal of the swirl?- Totally "re-stir" the yeast in throughout the wort or just kind of get some stuff off of the bottom.

I also know that re-pitching yeast is an option too, but I live in a small town with no LHBS and will have to order, so if that is my last option what yeast should I order to get this stuff going?

here are some pictures as well:

I tried to give all of the information that I can think of. Let me know if there is anything that you guys need from me to identify what is going on. I appreciate any help!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2009, 04:00 AM   #2
mrfurlly
Recipes 

looks like yeast on the bottom in that 2nd pic??
maybe try a swirl, and a little warmer??
double check your measuring equip, hydro/thermo

and next time, make a starter

Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 3

with what you've stated, it's surprising that you haven't noticed any airlock activity...

did you aerate the wort well after pitching?

you can certainly try to re-suspend the yeast by shaking it, you can be fairly vigorous with it if nothing has happened yet.

honestly, if it were me, i would consider repitching some new yeast. i'd use another packet of s-05 or nottingham. it could be that you got some old/bad yeast, although not likely... it happens though.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 05-16-2009, 04:03 AM   #4
android
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfurlly View Post
and next time, make a starter
starters are great for liquid yeast, but the safale 05 should be fine without one. at least that has been my experience.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are positive that no fermentation has taken place? In the second pick it looks like a bunch of yeast settled to the bottom.

Check you hydrometer in distilled water, to make sure it reading right.

FWIW, there is no reason to make a starter with dry yeast. You can rehydrate it, but many people just sprinkle it on top like you did.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:11 AM   #6
neb_brewer
Recipes 

I poured it into the carboy pretty vigorously. There was quite a lot of foam intially when I poured it in. In addition to that, I shook it about as much as I was willing to with it being one big heavy glass/precious beer combination. On my next brew I'm going to fabricate an airation device to hook up to a drill since I do full boils. Other than that....I really can't figure out why I haven't gotten any results. It frustrates me that its possible that I should have to put the carboy in a warmer pace, I was under the impression that a Kolsch was supposed to be fermented a little cooler and I was also well within the range according to the inventory for the kit.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
mrfurlly
Recipes 

Quote:
there is no reason to make a starter with dry yeast
if a starter was made he wouldnt have this problem right now. 90% of the time you probably fine, but if im puttin in 6hrs into a brew id like to be sure.
how long does it take to make a starter anyways, 15 min?? well worth it!

Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #8
neb_brewer
Recipes 

Quote:
if a starter was made he wouldnt have this problem right now. 90% of the time you probably fine, but if im puttin in 6hrs into a brew id like to be sure.
In the future I will do a starter. For the first brew I decided it best to follow the directions that came with the kit, which explicitly said to not do a starter for the dry yeast.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #9
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I think you are confusing rehydrating with making a starter.

There is NO need to make a starter with dry yeast. In fact, the manufacturers specify that you shouldn't. You should just pitch it directly to the wort or rehydrate and pitch.

Old 05-16-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
android
Recipes 

yeah... really, you don't need a starter with safale-05, or any other good dry yeast. i definitely don't think this has much or anything to do with it. i'd get another packet of yeast and try to repitch it. temps MIGHT be a problem, and just because you did a kolsch beer, you didn't really use a kolsch yeast, but the temps you stated should be causing much of a problem.

Quick Reply