New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > it's been 3 weeks, woops! I forgot to take out the hops!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 12:37 AM   #1
missjacki
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default it's been 3 weeks, woops! I forgot to take out the hops!

I went to check the gravity tonight and realized that I never even took out the mesh bags of hops ~ 3 weeks ago when I pitched! WOOPS!

So, what do you think? What's the worst that could happen? I tasted a sample and it tastes OK, the beer has more "floaties" in it than I would normally expect, but this was my first partial grain batch....so I also don't know exactly WHAT to expect. The 5 batches I've done before this I started with hopped syrup extract...

My initial impulse is to "strain" the beer as I pour it into the priming sugar and then bottle and see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2010, 12:40 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

???

I don't use hop bags, and just dump everything in my primary and leave it for a month, and never had any issue with it.

I would be hesitant to "strain" anything at this stage of the game, the risk of oxydation is high now that the beer is fermenting.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

I don't quite understand the problem. You can rack the beer to the bottling bucket, without any problems from the hops. They won't clog your siphon.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
missjacki
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK, sounds good. My concern was that according to the recipe instructions I was supposed to remove the mesh bags of hops right before pitching the yeast. I didn't do that, and so I was just making sure that leaving the hops in the fermenting beer would be OK.

Sounds like it should be no problem then. thanks for the quick responses, I can always rely on this site!

Old 12-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3862 Times on 2823 Posts
Likes Given: 646

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjacki View Post
OK, sounds good. My concern was that according to the recipe instructions I was supposed to remove the mesh bags of hops right before pitching the yeast. I didn't do that, and so I was just making sure that leaving the hops in the fermenting beer would be OK.

Sounds like it should be no problem then. thanks for the quick responses, I can always rely on this site!
Sure, it's fine. The bag was sanitized when it boiled in the wort. I don't bag my hops, so they usually just go into the fermenter with my wort. I think if they were in a bag, I'd probably notice and pull them out just because I saw it. But maybe not- I drink, you know!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #6
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 437

I've actually got a hunch, from my off-beat methods, that more hops and trub make for a better beer in the end.

I usually get enough wort that a partial batch gets left in a smaller fermentor. This frequently is where most of the trub and hops mush lands. On bottling day I give it a unique marking for the beer from that fermentor.

The beer from that fermentor seems to have a cleaner, crisper, more straight forward beer character.

...totally unscientific.....

How was the beer BTW?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
missjacki
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

it was great!

Quick Reply