Issue or non issue?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400847766.055345.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1400847793.550315.jpg

This beer has been in here for 5 days. This is only my third batch. The previous 2 were strong beers and I didn't notice this. This beer is a raspberry wheat. It doesn't look like these are very big. I just want to know if this is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I can't tell (my eyes are bad...) - are they fuzzy and hairy, or bubbly. If it's bubbles, you're fine. Hairy is bad.

I've never had these issues. Looks like it's infected. Don't dump it yet though, some more experienced brewer will tell you that it's lacto, brett or some other funk that'll work well with that style. lol

It is not stringy looking at all just bubbly.

This was in the primary for over a week and I just put it in the secondary five days ago. It had major fermentation right off the bat as usual.

Thats often how my starters look about 6 hours before they really get going. Doesn't look infected to me. Take a sample and do the whiff n' taste. If its getting sour you may have an issue, if not I would not sweat it.

If it is in secondary and you had a decent initial fermentation it's probably just fine. I've never seen a beer in secondary that had much going on that was visible to the eye.

Did you take a gravity reading when you racked to secondary? What yeast did you use?

I didn't take a gravity reading. I am actually not sure what the yeast was but it was a dry yeast.

BTW some of the white that you see in the secondary that are below the beer level are scrapes from when I dropped the secondary in the sink pretty hard while cleaning it. There's a couple of good sized scuffs.

I didn't take a gravity reading. I am actually not sure what the yeast was but it was a dry yeast.

I think you're in good shape. With most normal gravity beers at proper temperatures the yeast is done within 5-8 days. At that point there just isn't much happening in there except on the molecular level. Keep the beer at your best fermentation temperature or maybe a tad warmer until you are ready to package it. I'll bet you're going to have a very nice beer to enjoy in a few weeks.

Cheers! :mug:

Was real fruit added? That looks like the start of a pellicle or mold to me. Were the racking cane and fermentor properly sanitized?

No. I will put the extract in when I bottle. Everything was sanitized with starsan. I soak all the tubes in a tub of sanitizer and just leave it in there until the next time I need to use them. Before that they're all rinsed with hot soapy water.

When I looked today those bubbles are dissipating. Probably just co2.

Back