Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Isnt she pretty!!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 05:50 AM   #1
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Isnt she pretty!!!!!!!

Its been 5 days since I brewed. Couldnt help sneak a peak today, starting to smell more like beer, still kinda fermenty, sanitizery and chemically smelling (made up all those words BTW) but more likke beer. She looked so sexy I had to get a nude shot of her
Cant wait to taste my first baby! I have actually been keeping her wrapped in a blanket durring the night to help keep temp constant. Shes been steady at 64 degrees, one less than i wanted but I threw her in the bathtub full of water at 70 degrees and now shes siting at 69. I think ill keep her at 69 tomorrow and 70 or so sat till I rack in into secondary and toss in more corn sugar and repitch more yeast.

beer.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #2
o4_srt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZamaMan
Its been 5 days since I brewed. Couldnt help sneak a peak today, starting to smell more like beer, still kinda fermenty, sanitizery and chemically smelling (made up all those words BTW) but more likke beer. She looked so sexy I had to get a nude shot of her
Cant wait to taste my first baby! I have actually been keeping her wrapped in a blanket durring the night to help keep temp constant. Shes been steady at 64 degrees, one less than i wanted but I threw her in the bathtub full of water at 70 degrees and now shes siting at 69. I think ill keep her at 69 tomorrow and 70 or so sat till I rack in into secondary and toss in more corn sugar and repitch more yeast.
Why add corn sugar and pitch more yeast?

Conditioning: Muddy Paw Nut Brown Ale, Jump The Fence Independence Cream Ale

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 AM   #3
alenub
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by o4_srt View Post
Why add corn sugar and pitch more yeast?
I hope not in the attempt to drown out the sanitizer/chemical smell!

Old 04-15-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
ZamaMan
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 45

its per the receipe from the book. Its a duvel golden strong belgium ale, I dont know why didnt didnt have me throw in all the sugar durring boil...its only 8 OZ of corn sugar. After I add the sugar and pitch more yeast I ferment it more in the secondary and than move it to the keezer @ 34 degrees for 5 weeks than keg it for 4 weeks. This is all per receipe instructions.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
krops13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

oooooh shut up. it's his first batch. enjoy the ride dude you'll rememver your first for awhile. : D it look sgood. I"m ditre of seeing this site get absorbed by snobs ( i'm sure thats not what you guys ment but come on ) keep going!!! it's only gets more obsesibve and expesive from here ( ask my wife. : D ) . good jo b.

Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
Firebelly
Recipes 

How would you go about adding the corn sugar to secondary? I'm a noob and get confused by certain rules. For example you aerate the wort before pitching yeast in primary. Since this addition will be After primary fermentation, do you need to aerate again? I would guess you boil corn sugar in water, put into empty secondary vessel and rack onto it... then pitch new yeast over all?

Old 04-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #7
Brasco20
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would leave it in the primary, put the sugar in and forget the extra yeast. But im no expert, maybe someone can give a reason why to secondary and add more yeast.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
krops13
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebelly View Post
How would you go about adding the corn sugar to secondary? I'm a noob and get confused by certain rules. For example you aerate the wort before pitching yeast in primary. Since this addition will be After primary fermentation, do you need to aerate again? I would guess you boil corn sugar in water, put into empty secondary vessel and rack onto it... then pitch new yeast over all?
yo do not need to aerate the secondary, (excluding big beers) adding o2 would send the yeast into an aerobic state, causing them to want to reproduce. this is not the goal ever ( well most of the time) when adding more fermentables to the chamber. the fresh yeast is prob. unasecerry as there is billions of cells cabale of doing that.
Translation: Relax don't worry have a home brew and don't be a ****!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdecarol View Post
Oh the things I would do to that pint.
California Common Pint

Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krops13

yo do not need to aerate the secondary, (excluding big beers) adding o2 would send the yeast into an aerobic state, causing them to want to reproduce. this is not the goal ever ( well most of the time) when adding more fermentables to the chamber. the fresh yeast is prob. unasecerry as there is billions of cells cabale of doing that.
Even big beers should not be aerated in the secondary. They are way past the growth phase at that point. 12-18 hours after pitching is optimal.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #10
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 6

1. For your first batch don't transfer to secondary at all
2. Save the corn sugar for bottling
3. If you insist on adding the corn sugar, make sure you boil it with some water first and let it cool to the same temp as you are fermenting
4. Constant temp is best, try to keep as constant as possible
5. Never aerate after the beer starts fermenting
6. Stop looking at the damn thing, close it up and let it go for a few weeks, three is good for your first batch.
7. I'm only trying to help and am not trying to be a snob.
8. Your first beer will taste good to you no matter what (within reason).
9. CHEERS!

Quick Reply