This is my first post and my 3rd homebrew.
Started a Kilkenney clone on Monday the 7th.
Y1084, Pitched @ ~68-70 deg.F but he pack had been at room temperature and had been smacked four hours earlier and there was very little if any signs that it was coming to life which worried me. By the way it was my first liquid yeast trial.
Placed Fermentor in cooler filled with H2O with a plan to control the fermentation temperature to stay ~ 62-65 deg.F.
Kept temperature to more like 60 with short dips below that.
No fermentation on day1, or 2, or 3, or 4. But I did notice a couple nickel sized blue/green floaters on to of the wort. This if Friday night. I pull the Fermentor from the cooler and just set it aside. Figuring to dump it the next day since it has what appears to be to me and others mold on top of the wort. I did however open the top and smelled it and it smelt great! ????
Went to my LHBS in the morning and got some more supplies, Whites P004 and some more DME.
Brewed up anew batch basically the same way except Im keeping/kept the temperature @~68 deg F. By Sunday afternoon it is fermenting beautifully. (I think I put the yeast to sleep or shock them)
The original batch (during the night between Sat. and Sun.) comes to LIFE and starts working like a mad dog. (I left the airlock in place) and as of this morning is slowing down and looking quite good
. Except for those 2 spots of mold!
So here is my plan:
I have my full 5 gal of the new batch and it looks good
so I will have beer no matter what. This weekend Im going to transfer the original Suspect batch to secondary but only about 3-4 gallons of it so that I stay away from the mold on top. I will taste it and if it seems OK I will continue on towards bottling. SO here are my questions:
Am I crazy trying to save the infected batch since I have another going?
Am I going to die or at least feel the effects of this brew when I taste it during the transfer to secondary?
What do you think happened?