Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Irish Stout First Brew Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #1
IW396STL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Stout First Brew Question

I believe that we followed the instructions good. My initial hydrometer reading was were it needed to be. The primary fermentation bubbled the airlock vigorously after about 12 hrs and was pretty steady for about 3.5 days but hasn’t done anything from day 3.5 till 5. I took another hydrometer reading out of a beaker and it is where I should be at the end of the primary fermentation.

Could it be done after 3.5 days?

The wort was quickly cooled to 70-72 deg before yeast was added. The fermenter temp has been kept around 68-70 since start.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
obezyana1
Recipes 

It can definitely be done that quickly. I would give it a few more days and take readings and see if they remain the same. After that either move to secondary (for clarity) or bottle it.

Primary:Nothing until I get back from Moscow...
Secondary: See primary...
Bottle: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Blackberry Cider
Drinking: Whatever I can find in Russia.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
JMG680
Recipes 

Sounds like you did a fine job and it is done. no worries

Primary1- Mead
Primary2- Cherry Oak Stout
Primary3- Strawberry Blond Ale
Secondary- IPA
Bottled- English Barley Wine
Keg1- Agave Wit
Keg2- Pale Ale
Keg3- Shiner Clown
Keg4- AIR

Back from deployment and ready to Brew

Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by obezyana1 View Post
It can definitely be done that quickly. I would give it a few more days and take readings and see if they remain the same. After that either move to secondary (for clarity) or bottle it.
While my dry stouts usually finish primary fermentation with in a few days, I let them sit for at least three weeks in the primary, skip the secondary (highly flocculant yeast with no need for a bright tank) and bottle. From my POV, there is not need to rush your beer off the yeast...let it hang and condition for a bit. Even with a secondary, I usually let brews sit in the primary for at least a week for the yeast to have time to clean up and do their thing in mass.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
IW396STL
Recipes 

Thanks for the incite, I was just getting a little worried.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #6
obezyana1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l View Post
While my dry stouts usually finish primary fermentation with in a few days, I let them sit for at least three weeks in the primary, skip the secondary (highly flocculant yeast with no need for a bright tank) and bottle. From my POV, there is not need to rush your beer off the yeast...let it hang and condition for a bit. Even with a secondary, I usually let brews sit in the primary for at least a week for the yeast to have time to clean up and do their thing in mass.
I agree with letting them sit around for a couple weeks also, but some people are impatient at first and want to get a taste of their first brew. If IW396STL can wait that long, and I hope he can, since this hobby is all about patience, I say do it, but it won't ruin the beer to bottle it after a week. It just won't be as tasty as it can be. Give him a few brews and he will find out that waiting around a little while makes all the difference.

Primary:Nothing until I get back from Moscow...
Secondary: See primary...
Bottle: Chocolate Dipped Strawberries, Blackberry Cider
Drinking: Whatever I can find in Russia.

Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
IW396STL
Recipes 

Wow, the Irish Stout was GREAT. I left it in the primary for about 15 days. ( Couldn't decide on priming and bottling or keging and use CO2) We went with CO2 and was very pleased that we made that decision before even trying our first batches. The Irish Stout was dark and creamy with almost exact characteristics of a Guinness. ( Without the Nitrogen) It Doesn’t have any off flavors and packs a nice little punch. It has great head retention and Belgian lace.

Thanks for the help!!!!

I think we now officially have the brewing bug.

Quick Reply