Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Irish Moss and mouthfeel

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2010, 01:16 AM   #1
bweatherly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Moss and mouthfeel

Will adding Irish Moss decrease the thickness of my beer's mouthfeel? I know that it acts by binding and precipitating out proteins to clarify. But since it is proteins that also add thickness to the texture, will this not also lessen the mouthfeel? The science seems to point this way, but real life application always trumps theory, so please lemme know if this is false

Primary: Belgian White, Lemongrass Wheat (for my wedding!)
Secondary: Dreadnaught clone
Bottled: Orange Chocolate Ale, Kona Sutra Stout, Butternut Squash Ale, St. Nick's Winter Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2010, 01:35 AM   #2
bohdan987
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i will make not a big difference on a mouthfeel because you NEED TO ADD ONLY 1 TABLE SPOON PER 5 G. if you add more than that beer will be very bitter from the taste of irish moss not from the hops! i did this ones and it was a First time that i had to trow out my beer!

T.O.P
Brewery

Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Proteins can and do contribute to mouthfeel but they do not determine it either. Beers really high in proteins tend to have a muted, softened texture (think wits, wheats, oatmeal stouts) but dextrines (unfermentable sugars) probably play a larger part in mouthfeel than protein does in most brews. I don't know how much protein is precipitated out via Irish moss but I'd wager it's not a highly significant amount that will diminish or thin the texture and mouthfeel.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
DoctorHops
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohdan987 View Post
i will make not a big difference on a mouthfeel because you NEED TO ADD ONLY 1 TABLE SPOON PER 5 G. if you add more than that beer will be very bitter from the taste of irish moss not from the hops! i did this ones and it was a First time that i had to trow out my beer!
The recommended dose is one teaspoon per 5 gallons, not one tablespoon. I have seen doses as low as 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gallons. Don't use a tablespoon, it is too much. Use a teaspoon. The teaspoon is the small one.

Quick Reply