Irish Moss to clarify?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike35673

Reaction score
Ok so..Right now I am brewing two dark extract batches and am not terribly concerned about clarity but I plan to get an american pale ale going next and was wondering if soemone could explain how the irish moss works? Id like this batch to be as clear as possible. I will rack to a secondary as well. When do you use the moss? Is there any taste considerations?

Irish moss works, but whirlfloc works better :) If you have the time to get your hands on some, I would. Whirlfloc is Irish Moss on steroids.

I plan to get an american pale ale going next and was wondering if soemone could explain how the irish moss works?

Irish moss is a fining agent. Fining agents all work by making the smaller molecules aggregate into larger particles so they settle out of solution.

Irish moss is a fining agent. Fining agents all work by making the smaller molecules aggregate into larger particles so they settle out of solution.

To be more exact, it is a kettle coagulant. You can only use it in the boil. If you want a very clear beer, I suggest Irish Moss or Whirlfloc in the boil, then crash cooling and adding gelatin. That always makes a brilliantly clear beer for me.

Back