Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Irish moss

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
jessej122
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Irish moss

Pretty new and have never used Irish moss before or know much about it brewing a IIPA thinkin about using for clearing any suggestions or tips? As always thank you and cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 1184

Irish moss is a fining agent that helps the protein particles settle out as the beer ferments and ages which results in a clearer final product.

I find it works well if you add about 1.5 teaspoons per 5 gallons wort in the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Irish moss and then cold crashing my IPA's before dry hopping seems to work well.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 03-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Same here, my container says 1 teaspoon at last 15 min of Boil. I use it all the time.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2290 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

I just ordered my stuff this morning to brew this month. I also got a 4oz jar of five star "super moss". It says on midwest that you add 1/4tsp the last 10 minutes of the boil. Must be pretty good at 8 bucks per 4oz jar,& 1/4tsp vs 1.5tsp of regular.
I also thought that after once again smelling a sweet malt smell upstairs when the room gets really warm tells me that my capper's bell must've gone south. So I ordered the super agata bench capper. So these two current batches will be clearer & properly carbed. I've gone through every other possible cause of low carbonation after 5-6 weeks at warm room temp.
Just thought I'd bring that up too. Strange how that bell can get stretched out,but not look like it. To me,clarity & good carbonation are like biscuits & gravy...

Old 03-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 769 Times on 501 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I sprinkle half a teaspoon into the boil at the same time I drop in my immersion chiller to sterilize it, with 10 minutes left in the boil. I've never NOT done this, so I honestly can't say how much of a difference it makes, or whether it makes any difference at all. But my beers have been very clear by the end of it (I also cold crash and use gelatin), and it's pretty cheap insurance, so I keep doing it anyway.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2290 Times on 1994 Posts
Likes Given: 1712

Yeah man,I'm coming to that myself. After my 1st partial mash,doing a finer crush for biab,& replacing the muslin grain sack with a 5G paint strainer bag,my beers got a lot harder to clarify by the natural means I was using.
Of course,It's been taking longer than 20 minutes to chill down to 70-ish lately for some reason. Cold top off water gets the wort down to 64-ish in the fermenter,so that's good. Still a good amount of chill haze,partly due to the fine,floury/silty stuff from the fine crush I think. It seems like it's able to leave more protiens in suspension that way. So I'm forced to try the super moss to get my beers clarity back to where it was naturally. I guess I should've figured it would happen eventually.
On the bright side,the yellow/gold light lager color on my Hopped & Confusedv1 is spot on. Just having the clarity issue.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
abrix
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've found I get better results from irish moss if I rehydrate it before tossing it in the kettle -- I just dip a little of my sparge water into a dish and sprinkle the irish moss into that. Let it sit until 15 min. left in the boil and in it goes.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
tampa911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So I bought a plastic jar of this stuff and it is almost a solid block inside (like humidity had gotten to it and caused it to congeal). Has anyone else had this or is it bad?

Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
RMS
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Hey guys,

I just did an extract with specialty grains and I noticed haze in my bottles, I am conditioning in my bottles just because I am still learning but anyways I found a link that might help us!

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/02...hill-haze.html

Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #10
jessej122
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Right now I don't have the ability to cold crash is that ok?

Quick Reply