Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Irish moss?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM   #11
RichPGH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

The etymology and definition of flocculent has to do with the wool like appearance of the precipitate.

That and I tend to drink when I look up things like Irish Moss and flocculent. cross: So, either way, thanks for the correction.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used Irish Moss (actually Whirfloc tabs) for the first time last brew, an Abby, which I just racked to secondary a few moments ago. The is my first beer that appears like it will come out visually stunning. It was so clear coming out of the primary. It caused so many solids to fall out I would say I lost about four inches to "mud" in the primary. I actually racked for a second or two into the cake because I was concerned there wouldn't be enough yeast to bottle. Granted this had been in primary for over three weeks, but I left my cream ale in longer and that was much worse. I am going to bottle at the end of the first week of September so it will be ready for that October chill.

BillTheSlink

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #13
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have made beers with and without it. I will say it helps on clearing the beer if that is important to you, it also helps with chill haze as it takes out a lot of proteins.

Some of my lighter beers I like to brew and give to friends and tell them the label floated away in bleached ice water (some of my friends believe anything), and if they can tell what type of beer it is.

With Irish Moss I actually get some surprising BMC answers. They are shocked when I tell them its homebrew.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:29 AM   #14
iXanadu
Recipes 

I used one whirlock tablet in Biermunchers Octoberfast - pulled a one week gravity yesterday and the beer is brilliantly clear. This beer used the highly flocculent S04 which means the yeast cleans up fast.

I used one whilflock tablet in Biermunchers Tits Up IPA - pulled a one week gravity yesterday and the beer is very yeasty. This beer used the not so flocculent S05.

Past brews with Whirlflock have resulted in really clear beers. The point is, for me, whirlflock doesn't make non-flocculent yeast more so. It does help clear up trub and other debris that finds it way into your fermenter. I still have to cold crash - or wait a few days and pitch the first couple pints of beer with low-floc yeasts.

==================================
Brewing Calendar: http://ical.me.com/ixanadu/Brewing%20Cal
Primaries:
1-2: Biermunchers Blue Balls 10 gal batch
3: Dunkel from "Brewing Classic Styles"
4: Hefeweizen BYOB Paulner clone
5: Biermunchers Centennial Blonde

Secondaries:
1-4: empty

Cold Crashing: Biermunchers Tits up IPA

On Tap: American Wheat, Dunkel (wlp380), Chocolate Stout, Biermuncher OctoberFast.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #15
t-dogg
Recipes 

I noticed this was your first post if your brewing extract there is no need for irish moss

Quick Reply