Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ipa thin / watery tasting

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
primer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ipa thin / watery tasting

For my second brew ever I did a coopers IPA extract. OG hit was 1.050. I left it alone in the primary for 4 weeks and opened it last night to get a fg reading. SG 1.010. I think I may have added a little too much make up water when pouring it into the primary because it tastes very watered down and not like an IPA at all. Almost like a watery hefe. Is there anything I can add or do, or should I just bottle it and hope it turns out better?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

PRIMARY 1: 3RDs Pale Ale
PRIMARY 2: Hocus Pocus
PRIMARY 3: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde
BOTTLE: 3RDs Explosive IPA. BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer. High Sierra Pale Ale. African Amber. 3RDs Hefe-weizen 2.0.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 358 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Bottle it. Carbonation will add some mouth feel. Some time in the bottles and it will taste much better.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Watery is usually just the lack of carbonation and conditioning, co2 does a lot to mouthfeel. If you are going to sample an uncompleted beer (one that you haven't seen through the entire process) then you really can't/shouldn't worry about how something tastes or smells...because the beer's not finished. It's a long journey the beer goes through from grain to glass, and it's gonna spend most of it, NOT tasting like how we want it to.

Relax.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

wittmania Likes This 
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #4
primer
Recipes 

Ok. Thanks for the input

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

PRIMARY 1: 3RDs Pale Ale
PRIMARY 2: Hocus Pocus
PRIMARY 3: BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde
BOTTLE: 3RDs Explosive IPA. BierMuncher's SWMBO Slayer. High Sierra Pale Ale. African Amber. 3RDs Hefe-weizen 2.0.

Quick Reply