Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
152Sumo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default IPA question

I brewed a Dogfish Head 60 minute clone. The OG was right on, and when I dry hopped (in primary on about day 10), the hydrometer reading was 1.018. That was the target FG, so everything seemed okay.

Yesterday (18 days in primary) I took a sample for hydrometer, and the hydrometer reading was 1.013. I am still seeing a little airlock activity. I do know that airlock activity, or lack of, doesnt equal fermentation activity.

Here is the question: does it look like I have a wild yeast taking over?

I plan on bottling it no matter what, and I will RDWHAHB,(I will never dump a batch unless the taste makes me hurl) but it seems odd that I hit the final gravity, then after taking sample and dry hopping, I see more airlock activity and the gravity dropped.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Seems like a long time. What were the fermentation temps? How did the sample taste?

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Old 04-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoore View Post
Seems like a long time. What were the fermentation temps? How did the sample taste?
During the most active part of fermentation (just about the whole first week), I kept it below 70 with tub of water and frozen water bottles. After the first week, I just left it in the water tub without adding frozen bottles, and it remained around 70-73. I don't know if the sample tasted right or not. It wasn't horrible, but it reminded me of bananas when it first hit my mouth, but kind of tasted normal as far as after taste. I am not experienced enough to tell if that is okay or not. I am assuming okay, because my first batch, an APA, had similar tastes when I sampled. I just finished the last bottle the other day, and it was great.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
tamoore
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Where was your FG supposed to stop, based on the recipe? I'd say if you're still getting a sweet taste, it's not done fermenting. Congrats on your first batch!

On tap:
ESB
My best IPA
Paddlers Pale Ale

On Deck:
3% Summer Session IPA
SNPA inspired pale ale.

Brewing this week:
Irish Red.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Mischief_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What was your OG? How did you calculate that 1.018 was supposed to be your final gravity?

Old 04-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Based on DFH 60 Minute being a 6.0% beer, I have your OG at 1.064 if your FG was supposed to be 1.018. That would mean your attenuation was 72%. Being that it got down to 1.013, your attenuation is 80%. What yeast did you use?

I'd bet that the bubbling was mostly CO2 coming out of solution and little to do with the extra 5 points you saw. I'm making some assumptions overall here but honestly if it was me I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 04-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #7
DavidHawman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did your beer warm up at all?

I had a brew finish right at its target 1.016 FG, the yeast settled out and was about to bottle. But then a warm bit of weather warmed my room up to mid 70's and the yeast woke back up and started off again. Beer turned cloudy and the airlock started bubbling constantly for about 3-4 days. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading but the yeast cake at the bottom doubled in size during the warmer temp so I am guessing that my beer is going to be a bit lower than 1.016

Old 04-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #8
152Sumo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamoore View Post
Where was your FG supposed to stop, based on the recipe? I'd say if you're still getting a sweet taste, it's not done fermenting. Congrats on your first batch!
from recipe, gravities= 1.064/1.018

Quote:
Originally Posted by drat View Post
What was your OG? How did you calculate that 1.018 was supposed to be your final gravity?
recipe/instructions

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofyou View Post
Based on DFH 60 Minute being a 6.0% beer, I have your OG at 1.064 if your FG was supposed to be 1.018. That would mean your attenuation was 72%. Being that it got down to 1.013, your attenuation is 80%. What yeast did you use?

I'd bet that the bubbling was mostly CO2 coming out of solution and little to do with the extra 5 points you saw. I'm making some assumptions overall here but honestly if it was me I wouldn't be concerned about this at all.
i used s04
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHawman View Post
Did your beer warm up at all?

I had a brew finish right at its target 1.016 FG, the yeast settled out and was about to bottle. But then a warm bit of weather warmed my room up to mid 70's and the yeast woke back up and started off again. Beer turned cloudy and the airlock started bubbling constantly for about 3-4 days. I haven't taken a hydrometer reading but the yeast cake at the bottom doubled in size during the warmer temp so I am guessing that my beer is going to be a bit lower than 1.016
my beer did warm up. i stpped adding frozen bottles to water after one week. it warmed from high 60s to low 70s

Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #9
whatsleftofyou
Third Eye Pried Wide
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I can't find a published attenuation range offhand, but the last time I used S-04 I went from 1.063 to 1.012, about 81% attenuation. You were at 80%. I'm sure the extra points dropping off were just continued fermentation, helped by the fact that it warmed up a little. No worries, you're good.

On Tap: Orange Chocolate Stout, Belgian Wit, Chocolate Rye Ale, Belgian Singel, American Pale Ale
Bottled: PB&J Sweet Stout, Belgian Saison, Brown Porter

Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Brewman79
Recipes 

Dont judge it till its bottled.

Quick Reply