*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA gone wrong-- I think it's got mold. Salvageable?
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
AndyC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default IPA gone wrong-- I think it's got mold. Salvageable?

Hi guys, I've been brewing an IPA and went to bottle it today. However, when I opened it up, I saw a white/green growth on the top. Assuming it is mold-- this batch probably has to be tossed, eh? Here's what it looked like, after I skimmed it off-- it held together essentially as one piece.

Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

NOT GOOD! NOT GOOD AT ALL. I've never seen that color or consistancy of stuff in my fermenter and hope to never see it in real life.

I've heard some people say to skim the mold off, let the batch finish fermenting, bottle it and hope for the best. I don't think I could drink a beer that had that kind of contamination though.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #3
Ewalk02
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'd definately be a little skeptical of that...it looks like latex paint! I'd taste the beer and if its good then maybe give it another week, if nothing else grows you could try to bottle it just beware of bottle bombs if it is infected.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Never actually had mold at the top of my batch, but I've heard it can happen from time to time. I have also heard that mold really won't kill your beer as long as it is skimmed from the top. I'm sure others will chime in on this, but I personally wouldn't just pitch the whole batch.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #5
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow. I saw the picture and thought it was a wadded up towel you used to clean something with. Then I read your post and realized it WAS the thing cleaned itself. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but that doesn't look good to me. If it were me, I'd still try bottling it and seeing how it turns out. But I'd also be willing to part ways with those bottles permanantly--I wouldn't reuse them again--I'm just sort of paranoid like that.

Did you taste it yet?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Munsoned
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 on the bottle bombs thought above. I'd put any bottles in a rubbermaid bin or something to contain the carnage just in case (see my note above about paranoia).

Old 04-21-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
RedIrocZ-28
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Whoa cool, you removed a pellicle intact!

What does the beer smell like and what does it taste like? I'd put the lid back on it and let it sit for a few more months.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Nukesquad
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewalk02 View Post
I'd definately be a little skeptical of that...it looks like latex paint! I'd taste the beer and if its good then maybe give it another week, if nothing else grows you could try to bottle it just beware of bottle bombs if it is infected.
I agree. Don't go and throw away the entire batch just yet. Give it some more time, and if nothing else grows then you may have dodged a bullet directed at your beer. But the more time you give it, you can check if there is any further infection, therefore avoiding bottle bombs as well. Good Luck.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM   #9
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6152 Times on 5352 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Hi guys, I've been brewing an IPA and went to bottle it today. However, when I opened it up, I saw a white/green growth on the top. Assuming it is mold-- this batch probably has to be tossed, eh? Here's what it looked like, after I skimmed it off-- it held together essentially as one piece.
How long was it in the primary? Is this your first brew?

white could = krausen
green could = hop particles

especially if it wasn't done fermenting yet.

EDIT: is that stuff in the middle of your picture that looks like a wadded up cloth, a wadded up cloth? Or is that what you skimmed?

Old 04-21-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
AndyC
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
How long was it in the primary? Is this your first brew?

white could = krausen
green could = hop particles

especially if it wasn't done fermenting yet.

EDIT: is that stuff in the middle of your picture that looks like a wadded up cloth, a wadded up cloth? Or is that what you skimmed?
THat's what I skimmed. It was in the primary for about a month. I moved it into the secondary for another month or so, and I just broke it open today. It didn't have any of this stuff in it the primary-- so something must have gotten in in between.

This was my third brew-- and I've made wine quite a few times before. I was heartbroken, needless to say.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply