The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA fermented with California Lager yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
brewinginct
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default IPA fermented with California Lager yeast?

Hypothetical question here. What would happen if you fermented an IPA with a California Lager yeast, like WLP810? How would it compare to the same beer fermented with an American Ale yeast like Wyeast 1056?

Also, assume that they're both fermenting at about 65-68F, with the possibility of reaching temps around 70/low 70s for the first few days of primary. (any cheap (<$20) suggestions to keep fermentation temps lower?)

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

well lagers tend to not produce esters and phenols since they ferment so cold.

when you ferment a lager yeast at ale temps, especially the low 70's, you'll get esters, phenols, probably more sulphur...and it won't taste at all like a lager.

Now if you use a california common (i.e. steam beer) yeast, it'll be more forgiving of the higher temps.

Swamp cooler will keep temps down a bit.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM   #3
brewinginct
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

malkore - Thanks for the quick reply. So does that mean that if you tasted these beers blindfolded then the IPA brewed with American Ale yeast would be a typical IPA...but the IPA fermented with lager yeast would be more like an Imperial Lager, i.e. a completely different beer?

Does that also mean that california lager yeast will produce the best of both worlds?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM   #4
dancness
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think he means that the IPA fermented with lager yeast at ale temp.... will most likely taste like garbage.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
brewit2it
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancness View Post
I think he means that the IPA fermented with lager yeast at ale temp.... will most likely taste like garbage.
And I'm betting it will come out fine, especially if you can keep fermentation temps in the 60's. Give it a shot and see how you like it. Even better would be to split the batch and try one with ale yeast, say US-05, and the other with the California Lager yeast.

See my cheap new Keezer Build Here:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/chea...keezer-224848/

Primary: 2 Row IPA
Second Primary: Kolsch-like ale

Keg 1: Blur Moon
Keg 2: Empty
Keg 3: Empty

Bottled: None

Old 05-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #6
brewinginct
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Dancness - ...except I'm asking about California Lager yeast, which is meant to be used at around ale temperatures. And there are other people on the board here who have had success making a steam beer with IPA level IBUs, except with a standard california common malt base.

brewit2it - Good idea, that might be the only way to get a definitive answer, I'll try to stay in the low 60s for fermentation

Anyone else? You have 10 gallons of wort for an IPA, you ferment 5 gallons with American Ale yeast and 5 gallons with California Lager yeast. Seeing as how California Lager yeast is meant for lower ale temperatures, what difference in taste would there be?

Keep in mind I'm not asking about a standard lager yeast that would without a doubt perform horribly at ale temperatures, I'm asking about a lager strain that performs well at ale temps.

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
cmoon
Recipes 

I've been really interested in this idea--basically trying to make a super clean double IPL with san francisco cal common yeast. Of course the idea being that you don't have to actually logger it, and the short fermentation time would let the hops come out really strong.

Anyone tried this?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
BranDJ
Recipes 

Just did this on accident this weekend. I brewed NB's Dead Ringer IPA kit and mistakenly pitched the yeast from a California Common kit. So instead of Safale S-05 I put in Saflager S-23. It started fermenting almost immediately, bubbling from the airlock in about an hour. It's at about 60 degrees now and in the basement, bubbling away. I'll let you know how it turns out in about a month ...

Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #9
BBQandBrew
Recipes 

BranDJ,

Do you have an update for us? I am thinking about brewing an California common and bumping up the IBUs. How did your brew turn out?

Cheers!

Quick Reply