New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IPA - clearing methods & quality techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 AM   #1
BrewToHeugh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default IPA - clearing methods & quality techniques

Currently fermenting Brewers Best IPA
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kS5VHFRZXuYJ:http://www.ldcarlson.com/public%2520catalog/Brewers%2520Best%2520Recipes/1037.pdf%2Bbrewers+best+india+pale+ale&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&client=firefox-a&gs_l=heirloom-serp.3..0l2j0i30l4.69886.76342.0.76542.16.7.1.8.8. 0.125.588.4j3.7.0...0.0...1c.1.81seGFwbpJc&hl=en&c t=clnk

Kit mentioned to move to 2nd fermenter after a week but after reading alot on here about just a longer primary stage I decided to try it on this batch.

its just about two weeks and its still cloudy as hell! After skimming through some threads on here it looks like its normal for IPA's because of the amount of dry hops but Ive also come across some interesting points like;

adding agents to help clear

cold crashing

moving to secondary (with good results)

just leaving it in primary until it beings to clear (might lose flavor?)

Was hopping someone with alot of IPA experience could tell me what the best thing to do to help clear. I understand the cloudiness most likely wont affect the quality but doing something about it might...

so.... are there any techniques that can improve the quality of my IPA while assisting in clarity?

thanks my fellow brewers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
BrewToHeugh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

maybe a move to secondary on the 4th week and cold crashing?

Old 01-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #3
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Move to secondary once fermentation is done. Leave for a week then cold crash for 48 hours.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 171 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 3

When you old crash it, use gelatin (do a search on here). The gelatin will pull yeasties and beasties out of suspension in a matter of a day or two.
The stuff is awesome. Really clarifies well.

For clear beer, time and cold are your friends. If you're bottling you need to condition for a minimum of 3 weeks and if recommend your beer be in the fridge for a week or two after conditioning. The cold will drop the conditioning sugars out of suspension and compact them into a nice tight cake on the bottom of the bottle. Make sure you pour smooth and leave 1/4 or so on the bottom of the glass. Leave the yeast behind!

I've completely moved away from secondaries. I cold crash and fine in the primary (or fine in the kegs if kegging). It makes the yeast cake much easier to draw off of.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
BrewToHeugh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
When you old crash it, use gelatin (do a search on here). The gelatin will pull yeasties and beasties out of suspension in a matter of a day or two.
The stuff is awesome. Really clarifies well.

For clear beer, time and cold are your friends. If you're bottling you need to condition for a minimum of 3 weeks and if recommend your beer be in the fridge for a week or two after conditioning. The cold will drop the conditioning sugars out of suspension and compact them into a nice tight cake on the bottom of the bottle. Make sure you pour smooth and leave 1/4 or so on the bottom of the glass. Leave the yeast behind!

I've completely moved away from secondaries. I cold crash and fine in the primary (or fine in the kegs if kegging). It makes the yeast cake much easier to draw off of.

how long do you leave it in primary? When do you add gelatin and how long do you cold crash?

Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 AM   #6
BrewToHeugh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
Move to secondary once fermentation is done. Leave for a week then cold crash for 48 hours.
going on my 2nd week. was thinking of moving to 2nd and then cold crashing on 4th week.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #7
snaps10
Recipes 

I leave it in primary for anywhere from 2 weeks to 5 weeks. The minimum time is not up to me, it's up to my little yeast buddies. Sometimes my pipeline is so full that I'm not ready to move it yet, so I'll leave it for a bit.

I dry hop in a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, so I dry hop in primary.

I add the gelatin at cold crash and typically cold crash for 24-48 hrs, depending on the availability of a refrigerator. Make sure you rehydrate the gelatin with room temp water for about 20 min, then I add a cup or so of very hot water to bring the mixture up to about 160. This dissolves the gelatin into liquid form.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 178 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You may also want to use fining agents in the boil with light colored beers. I use Irish moss and it works well. Some Irish Moss in the boil, 4 week primary, 1 week cold crash and even my dry hopped IPAs are very clear.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM   #9
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

I don't bother with finings and cold crashing. Put it in a secondary and clears. no hassle , no extra steps.

Old 01-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
snaps10
Recipes 

How does a secondary clear the beer?

Quick Reply