Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ipa?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #1
beanbagz1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Ipa?

i found this recipe on here, and i thought it looked great.. didnt hurt that the person who made it also said they had won two competitions with this ipa.

is 14 1/4# grain normal for an all grain recipe? i am going to attempt it using a somewhat BIAB method. please give me your thoughts.

mashing 4.5gallons at 154f for 60 mins, dunk sparging grains in 1.5 gallons after mash in 158F. will combine and start the 90 minute boil with 6 gallons. after 60 minutes into the boil the hop additions begin.

imag0273.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2012, 02:08 AM   #2
jester5120
The Vanilla Gorilla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 20

for biab and that OG 14 pounds of grain sounds about right.

Kegged Hip Hop IPA, Chocolate Cream Stout

Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
beanbagz1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester5120 View Post
for biab and that OG 14 pounds of grain sounds about right.
good to hear.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:16 AM   #4
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 608 Times on 515 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Do not go by the 7 primary and 14 secondary schedule. Take gravity readings to make sure you have gotten to final gravity before transferring to secondary. Or, skip the secondary and leave the beer in primary for about 3 weeks.

Make sure you have enough wort for a 90 minute boil. I collect 7 to 7.25 gallons for a 60 minute boil in my setup for 5 - 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:24 AM   #5
beanbagz1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
Do not go by the 7 primary and 14 secondary schedule. Take gravity readings to make sure you have gotten to final gravity before transferring to secondary. Or, skip the secondary and leave the beer in primary for about 3 weeks.

Make sure you have enough wort for a 90 minute boil. I collect 7 to 7.25 gallons for a 60 minute boil in my setup for 5 - 5.25 gallons into the fermenter.
i do take gravity readings, and probably shouldnt have even written down that part on the recipe. i was just writing what he had written. i only have an 8 gallon stock pot for the main BIAB mashing and a 5 gallon stock pot for the dunk sparging... between the two kettles, how should i separate the 7 gallons i am going to need to start? i am afraid that with 14# of grain i wont be able to get much more that 4.5 in the 8 gallon pot for biab..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
beanbagz1
Recipes 

anybody ever used the white labs california ale yeast? i bought the two vials as the creator suggested, but do you know why it would be necessary? if i were to make a starter would i even need a second vial? is there a benefit to pitching 2 full ones? the container said that they are capable of up to 1.070..

Old 04-29-2012, 03:29 AM   #7
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

I use California ale yeast, if you're making a starter no need for 2 vials, save the other one it attenuated very well

Old 04-29-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Draken
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbagz1

i do take gravity readings, and probably shouldnt have even written down that part on the recipe. i was just writing what he had written. i only have an 8 gallon stock pot for the main BIAB mashing and a 5 gallon stock pot for the dunk sparging... between the two kettles, how should i separate the 7 gallons i am going to need to start? i am afraid that with 14# of grain i wont be able to get much more that 4.5 in the 8 gallon pot for biab..
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Great calculator to determine if you have the space to mash.

Quick Reply