Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > IOStar, Star San, Saniclean, One Step....LOST

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
Balto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Thanks again Guys! Looks Like PBW and Star San

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #12
JeffoC6
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 28 Posts

Need a little help. Today is day 3 for my first brew in the primary. I'm supposed to be removing the blow-off tube and adding the airlock (per my directions). I originally used C-Brite as my sanitizing, as this is what came with my kit. I took the leftover C-Brite/Water solution and put it in a small tupperware container and put it in the fridge (been in there since Thursday morning at 2:00 PM). Can I use this solution again today to sanitize and fill up my airlock? Or would you recommend I use some new C-Brite (I have a little left in the packet)...or just use some of the Popov vodka I have in the pantry?

Planned:
Prim #1: Ed Wort's Bavarian Hefe
Prim #2:
Prim #3:
Prim #4:
Prim #5:
Prim #6:
Bottled: Saddle-Up IPA, Leaf House IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #13
mradicsh
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffoC6 View Post
Need a little help. Today is day 3 for my first brew in the primary. I'm supposed to be removing the blow-off tube and adding the airlock (per my directions). I originally used C-Brite as my sanitizing, as this is what came with my kit. I took the leftover C-Brite/Water solution and put it in a small tupperware container and put it in the fridge (been in there since Thursday morning at 2:00 PM). Can I use this solution again today to sanitize and fill up my airlock? Or would you recommend I use some new C-Brite (I have a little left in the packet)...or just use some of the Popov vodka I have in the pantry?
I just brewed a Brooklyn kit (Everyday IPA) and decided to get rid of the C-brite as it reminded me too much of bleach. I used vodka in the airlock, seemed safer than using c-brite.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2115 Times on 1851 Posts
Likes Given: 1557

I've been using vodka in my airlocks for quite some time now. Anything that gets in it dies of alcohol poisoning. If you get a suck back,No flavors will be contributed.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #15
DBbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Starsan and oxyclean

Dave
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marse...42084999171354

http:mash.sixpacktech.com

primarys: Black Jesus IPA
Secondaries: Apple cider

Bottled; Mead

Kegged; Barrel aged Porter, Irish Red,
Dead Guy Clone
Munich Helles, Oatmeal Stout, !2% Russian Imperial Stout, Milk Chocolate Stout, Barrel aged Russian Imperial Stout, 12% Barley Wine(aging)

Up Next; Black IPA

Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
Balto
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear101 View Post
only thing i can add to this thread, is buy a REALLY nice spray gun, I use might all the time, easiest way to clean things, I call in the Sanni Gun.. LOL
Great idea!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

You really want a no rinse sanitizer. Get a big bottle of StarSan. It's one ounce in 5 gallons so it will last for years. And yes, it works great in a spray bottle. I mix it up in a one gallon bottle of distilled water so it can be reused many times. StarSan matched with the vinator makes bottling a breeze. And remember, it really is no rinse so don't fear the foam!

Old 01-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #18
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 691

C-brite spray bottle...starsan in a 5-gallon bucket and PBW/oxyclean for cleaning. Also, I accidently bought saniclean instead of starsan, it rocks. Its more concentrated and great for getting off beer stone and cleaning after PBW

Old 01-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #19
Landshark67
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Starsan, PBW (Oxyfree & TSP90) and Saniclean

Saniclean is great for cleaning beer lines and flushing pumps after a PBW cycle. No foam means little cavitation in the pumps. Good for bottle prep too. Also nice when filling kegs so you can actually see the beer rise to the top.

Brew On!

All three are fantastic.

FWIW - I use a 70/30 blend of Oxyfree (Walmart or Meijer) and TSP90 (Red Devil brand)....available at ACE hardware and most other full service hardware stores.

Quick Reply