*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Iodophor compared to Star San

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2008, 11:39 PM   #1
telebrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Iodophor compared to Star San

I've always used Iodophor and really like it. No rinsing...I have Star San that came with a kit a while ago. I want to use it up and get rid of it so I can go back to Iodophor.

Do you use Star San the same way? Soak and let drip dry? It says 1 oz. per 5 gal. of water. Do you weigh 1 oz. or is it about a tablespoon per 5 gal. like Iodophor?

Thanks for any help...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2008, 11:41 PM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul313 View Post
I've always used Iodophor and really like it. No rinsing...I have Star San that came with a kit a while ago. I want to use it up and get rid of it so I can go back to Iodophor.

Do you use Star San the same way? Soak and let drip dry? It says 1 oz. per 5 gal. of water. Do you weigh 1 oz. or is it about a tablespoon per 5 gal. like Iodophor?

Thanks for any help...
Both are a wet contact sanitizer, which means that for the sanitizer to work, you shouldn't let them get dry. they do work the same way though.

I would measure out a liquid ounce rather than using a tablespoon. I guess an ounce would be two tbsp when it comes down to it.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #3
solidghost
Recipes 

hehehehe, it will probably take you numerous number of brews for you to use up all that Star San. I am up to my 4th or 5th brews and it is not even 1/3 of the little bottle.

Anyways, I think Star San is a very good no-rinse sanitizier. Both should work very well for you. Just that Star San tends to foam a bit too muchh.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:33 AM   #4
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidghost View Post
Anyways, I think Star San is a very good no-rinse sanitizier. Both should work very well for you. Just that Star San tends to foam a bit too muchh.
The StarSan foam is good stuff! Rack your beer right on top of it. It won't hurt a thing.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2734 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I buy bulk Dairy Iodophor Sanitizer, a gallon for 20 bucks...I'll never run out.

BTW, you don't let EITHER starsan or iodophor dry, They are "wet contact" sanitizers, meaning as long as the surface is wet with sanitizer, it kills anything that comes in contact with it...if you allow it to dry, you may have sanitized the surface, but the minute something lands on it (or in it in the case of bottles) then you are no longer sanitized.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 08-05-2008 at 12:54 AM.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
polarbearbrewing
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

where can u buy iodophor in bulk?

Primary: Common Room ESB
Bottled: EdWort's Haus Pale Ale
On Deck: Robust Porter/SMaSH

Old 08-05-2008, 09:19 AM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbearbrewing View Post
where can u buy iodophor in bulk?

Farm and feed stores like Tractor Supply...Like I said it is Dairy sanitizer.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #8
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Farm and feed stores like Tractor Supply...Like I said it is Dairy sanitizer.
Duly noted. Thanks.
It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Old 08-05-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter View Post
Duly noted. Thanks.
Evidently in some states there is difficulty in buying it without proof that you are a rancher. Supposedly bulk iodine can be used in the making of metamphetamines, so some members of this here community have reported not being able to purchase it. I have had no trouble here in Michigan though.

Old 08-05-2008, 05:42 PM   #10
HighPlainsDrifter

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Evidently in some states there is difficulty in buying it without proof that you are a rancher. Supposedly bulk iodine can be used in the making of metamphetamines, so some members of this here community have reported not being able to purchase it. I have had no trouble here in Michigan though.
Damn, that's what I was buying it for too. The local high school is just around the corner and I was looking to make some extra cash.

I know a guy in the upstate that has some farmland and shops at Tractor Supply all the time. I'll have him pick it up for me. Then I'm laughing all the way to the bank....er....brew house.
It took me both hands just to squeeze it

Quick Reply