The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Introduction - First Brew Questions/Observations

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM   #11
Choguy03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Check the FG tomorrow and you should be able to tell. If it is 1.016 then bottle, if lower let it chill. I would say that you have a 99.9% chance it is done. As for the Weizenbier you are going to have yeast in the beer. They don't flocculate well, (drop out of the beer) hence you get that nice cloudy Weizen. I love me some Weizen.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #12
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

thanks, Choguy03. I really appreciate the willingness to help from all the good folks on this forum! This place is awesome.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #13
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choguy03 View Post
As for the Weizenbier you are going to have yeast in the beer. They don't flocculate well, (drop out of the beer) hence you get that nice cloudy Weizen. I love me some Weizen.
Should they be chunky though? I had bits almost half the size of a BB.

Of course, didn't keep me from drinking the sample. :P

Old 08-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #14
Choguy03
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You may be ok soon, but the bottling will also help some of the big chunks fall out. If you have ever had a blue moon, you will notice some big chunks of yeasties on the bottom. No worries though.

:Fermentation Cabinet:

Primary: Bee Cave Bavarian Hefe
Secondary: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing
On Deck: Gumball Head Clone (Jekster)

Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled the Altbier last night. Below are notes on the experience:

- Rinsed my new bottles thoroughly with hot water then ran them through the dishwasher with no soap.

- When I racked to the bottling bucket, I was quite pleased at the clarity and color of the altbier.

- Forgot to sanitize the caps for the 1st four bottles. I marked these and will be especially tuned to them for exhibiting "odd behavior".

- Using the bottle wand on the door of the dishwasher made this rather easy. Whoever it was that posted the "dishwasher door" method: THANKS!

- Had about 2oz left over, which I promptly put in a chilled glass and tasted. Still pretty bitter. Hopefully age will mellow this out. Tasted no "off" flavors that I could tell. Mouthfeel was light/watery. I'm sure carbonation will help that though.

- Rinsed, washed, and sanitized the 5G carboy after bottling and started up my first batch of apfelvein!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:37 PM   #16
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 517 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder12000 View Post
hmmmmmmm . . . . It seems to me that all this will do is lighten the final product color wise. . . . NOT that I'm disputing you :-)
Plug your hop additions into your brew software as both late addition and beginning of boil. You'll find that Yooper is correct (as usual.) The thinner gravity wort of the earlier boil will give you better hop utilization.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #17
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

UPDATE: Checked the BB weizenbier last night. SG - 1.012. I will check again tomorrow to see if it's still 1.012. If so, I'll bottle 'er up!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
Boodlemania
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Threw one of the altbiers and one of the weizenbiers into the fridge last night, a little early I know, but I HAD to taste them! Popped these suckers after brewing today.

The altbier was NICE! Good head, nice retention too. All the harsh bitterness I mentioned above was gone. Got a back-of-the-tongue bite as an aftertaste. Much-improved body and mouthfeel. For a first brew, this far exceeded my expectations.

The weizenbier was good, though I think it is still too young. The mouthfeel and carbonation weren't nearly as developed as the altbier. I think/hope this one will improve though it is quite drinkable now.

- CStone

Quick Reply