Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Into the abyss... I mean the 2ndary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default Into the abyss... I mean the 2ndary

I just racked my first batch into the secondary. On my last FG test, I just couldn't resist a taste. Man, that brought me back to my previous life in the UK. It tasted just like some of the bitters I drank at some of the small country pubs. Can't wait to get it into bottles and ready to drink.

Now I'm planning my 2nd batch and I have a question on straining from the boil pot to the carboy. I've made quite a mess with the first transfer and then again with the transfer to the secondary, but at least I now have some ideas on how to make things better. When I moved from the boil pot to the carboy (I did a full boil), I used a double mesh SS strainer suspended over a funnel with one of those cheap plastic strainers. Of course the plastic strainer did more warping and moving around than I had hoped and I was wondering if I could use a nylon bag (aka my wife's stocking) to strain the wort into the primary. I have the parts for a CFC and plan to build it before the next attempt. What I was thinking was to go through the CFC then into a nylon bag attached to the end which is suspended over the funnel in the carboy.

Quite a lengthy explanation for what I hope wiill be a simple setup. Any thoughts on this. Am I completely off my bird?

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2006, 03:47 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You can get by with a nylon stocking but it will clog up pretty fast and you will spend a lot of time trying to get it to flow. Why don't you try siphoning most of the wort after whirpooling in the kettle. I just pump some of the trub right into the carboy to get 5.5 gallons and it falls out during fermentation.

Gary

Old 09-19-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Radarbrew
Recipes 

Location: Alaska, Honey, there's a moose on the back porch again!
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, I agree. That straining through the material never works, at least in MY experience. Just try the whirlpool method, it has a better success rate. Give the pantyhose back to the wife, or at least buy her some more....

Quick Reply