Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Interesting Off-Flavor from Light Ale???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 01:52 AM   #1
Mainer28
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Interesting Off-Flavor from Light Ale???

I brewed an all grain very light ale. The recipe was mostly pale malt, very little light caramel, and some malted wheat. I used .75oz Simcoe and Salfale 05 yeast.

Brew day went fine, I cooled with a wort chiller to about 72 degrees before pitching the yeast. It fermented at about 75 or so.

The beer has been in the primary for 14 days and is extremely clear, nice looking beer. However, there is a strange flavor that is hard to describe. It's almost tastes corn flakey????? Sort of grainy. Another impression from a friend was that it tasted like a powerful Coors Lite.

Do you think this beer is worth bottling? What created my off flavors and how can I prevent them? Do you think they will subside after carbonating in a bottle?

Thanks all for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 AM   #2
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 21

It could be an off-flavor like DMS or diacetyl or it could just be underhopped and a bit out of balance.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5369 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Don't worry about what a beer tastes like after only 14 days. It should slightly resemble beer, but unless the beer was rancid, moldy, or otherwise infected there's no way to know at this point how the flavors will change after many more weeks of conditioning.

If the beer didn't make you gag at this point, there's a 99% chance it will mature and develop a great final flavor provided you give it enough time.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:25 AM   #4
Pommy
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

yeah I dont know but as they you cant judge a beer until you give it enough time. Definitely bottle it up and give it a few months before even considering dumping it.

Reason: my spelling sucks

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #5
LVBen
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

How refined is your beer palette? Are you sure it is a normal off-taste? Or could it just be a normal hops or malt taste that you just don't like?

Quick Reply