Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > INTENSE smoke aftertaste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 314 Times on 274 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Well if it IS infection then that's a bummer. If you're concerned about your equipment then consider replacing those plastic components that are hard to clean really well (racking canes, tubing, etc) and any buckets that are scratched, otherwise just give everything a REALLY good cleaning with a stiff oxyclean concentration followed by a full soak of starsan for a few days (i.e. buckets filled to the brim). You could even include a baking soda solution soak in the sun for a few days.

I've never smelled the vegetable smell from an airlock you're referring to but it must not be pleasant. What do you think the room temperature was where the fermenter was sitting? I'm wondering if the vegetable smell was due to too high of fermentation temps.

Hopefully your saison is fine. On the plus side, saisons can and do frequently have some funkiness to them and are sometimes funkified (soured) by other organisms after primary fermentation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
DPBISME
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunobearbo View Post
I even store my empties full of starsan.
Don't do this... Clean you bottles and put them away. Sanitize just before use.

StarSan can leave a coating when left for long periods on both plastic and metal so I would expect it to do the same for glass.

Also Acids do what they do because ot thier CONCENTRATION or their DURATION.

I would have to go read the MSDS and see if the acids it it will etch glass... if so you could actually have a prblems with your bottles...

DPB

Old 06-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #13
Brunobearbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Lots of good advice here. I never knew about storing the starsan either. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply