*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > INTENSE smoke aftertaste
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #1
Brunobearbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default INTENSE smoke aftertaste

Welp, I tried making Lord Crouchback's Special Bitter, and I think something has gone awry.

I used Whitbred yeast and it had a day lag until fermentation kicked in, but once it started the brew had almost a "vegetable" smell to it.

Once I bottled, it quickly carbed up and developed a small inner krausen ring on the bottle neck (this happened to be once with a wheat beer, but it turned out fine).

I have been trying some of them, and it has an insane smoke aftertaste that lingers for a minute after each drink, like you breathed in a campfire.

Can infections cause this? Has anyone had a smoke off flavor like this? Phenols? Yeast?

__________________
Brunobearbo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 29,293
Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Default

Never got smoke as an off flavor or ester. Maybe the malts included some smoked malt?

__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
unionrdr is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
Brunobearbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Never got smoke as an off flavor or ester. Maybe the malts included some smoked malt?
This is the recipe;

Light LME 3.00 lb, Extract, Extract
Light LME 3.50 lb, Extract, Extract
Crystal 60L 1.00 lb, Grain, Steeped

Kent Golding 1.00 oz, Whole, 60 minutes
Kent Golding 0.75 oz, Whole, 30 minutes
Kent Golding 0.75 oz, Whole, 15 minutes


I thought something was up with the yeast from the start, since it had a major lag, and an odd smell once it started fermenting. Can yeast cause a smoke flavor? Can an infection?
__________________
Brunobearbo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Upper Michigan
Posts: 61,196
Liked 4505 Times on 3276 Posts
Likes Given: 883

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunobearbo View Post
I thought something was up with the yeast from the start, since it had a major lag, and an odd smell once it started fermenting. Can yeast cause a smoke flavor? Can an infection?
Yes, it's a sign of wild yeast contamination normally, but can be bacterial as well.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006
Yooper is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Brunobearbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Yes, some phenols are perceived as "smoky". That normally signals the presence of an infection.
Damn. I starsan soak everything all the time. I even store my empties full of starsan. I never had issues in the past and now this would be my third bad batch. I should just toss all my equipment

Thanks for the help
__________________
Brunobearbo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 29,293
Liked 2048 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Default

From the name,I thought it was kit. That's a new one to me about phenols & smoke flavor. Didn't know that.

__________________
Everything works if ya let it-Roady(meatloaf)
NEW, REVISED EDITION of book one of Time Lords 2034 series now on Amazon Kindle! http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
unionrdr is online now
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
stpug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,370
Liked 330 Times on 288 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Default

I'm aware of scottish ale 1728 having a "smoky" phenol character to it that would be considered normal/acceptable, however I've never perceived this character in my many times of using this yeast (I may just be tongue-dumb ).

Another potential for intense "smoke" flavor aside from infection is brewpot scorching of the LME. Some folks don't take the pot off the heat when adding their LME and it sinks directly to the bottom, AND if you're not fast about getting it diluted into the wort then it will scorch to the bottom leaving you with some nasty scorch/smoke flavoring. Is this scenario a possibility?

I certainly wouldn't trash your equipment until you nail down the culprit. Also, a day lag time is not considered too long. I've had a few beers lag 30-40 hours that turned out fine (I consider this to be getting long and troublesome but it was my own fault).

__________________
:: St. Pug ::
stpug is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
HokieHomeBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 72
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

I've heard of this happening in some Fantome beers

__________________
HokieHomeBrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Brunobearbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 18
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpug View Post
I'm aware of scottish ale 1728 having a "smoky" phenol character to it that would be considered normal/acceptable, however I've never perceived this character in my many times of using this yeast (I may just be tongue-dumb ).

Another potential for intense "smoke" flavor aside from infection is brewpot scorching of the LME. Some folks don't take the pot off the heat when adding their LME and it sinks directly to the bottom, AND if you're not fast about getting it diluted into the wort then it will scorch to the bottom leaving you with some nasty scorch/smoke flavoring. Is this scenario a possibility?

I certainly wouldn't trash your equipment until you nail down the culprit. Also, a day lag time is not considered too long. I've had a few beers lag 30-40 hours that turned out fine (I consider this to be getting long and troublesome but it was my own fault).

I don't think its a scorching issue. I very slowly add the LME and the stirring dissolves it before I allow it to hit bottom. Whats strange is the beer smelled fine until it started to churn CO2, then it had this vegetable smell almost instantly, and the gravity readings had the same taste.

The one thing that concerns me is the high pressure and the small krausen ring in the bottle necks. Some say this is due to infection.

Thanks for your info, I appreciate it.

Hopefully my Saison that's almost ready to bottle turns out OK :/
__________________
Brunobearbo is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Consequences of a less intense boil? carter840 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-11-2012 12:34 PM
Intense ferment. venquessa Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 02-11-2012 02:50 PM
Intense Fermentation!! LowBrewer Fermentation & Yeast 4 09-05-2011 12:35 AM
How intense should I clean? ecojack Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 04-07-2010 06:46 PM
Too Intense? DieselBrewery Recipes/Ingredients 3 09-07-2008 05:30 PM