Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ingredients question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
none111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Ingredients question

i`ve been looking at some beer recipes and they call for things like 2 row,polyclar,irish moss,Dextrine,Crystal 40.i`m new to brewing os i`m just starting i`ve already brewed a dry extract kit but all it had in kit was bag of dry extract, hops pellets, and a bag bottling sugar

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #2
natehilde

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Just do some more reading. Everything you sited in that list are common ingredients. I recommend if you haven't already, get a book or two on homebrewing.
"The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" - Charlie Papazian
"The Brewmaster's Bible"
These two are excellent!!!

Or

"Homebrewing for Dummies"
This one got me started. I know it seems really cheesy, but I did what I had to do. I love this stuff. I don't know near as much as some of the guys here, but I read more each day. I strongly recommend you do the same. Your hobby will turn into a passion.

"A Chief Petty Officer does not drink. But if he drinks, he will not get drunk. And if he gets drunk he will not stumble. And if he stumbles he will not fall. But if he falls, he will fall with his service stripes down, so that passers by think him to be a Junior Officer."

Old 11-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

That's a huge question. 2-row is simply a form of malted barley used to to get fermentable sugars, not something you would use unless doing all-grain or partial mash brewing. You might use crstal malt, which impacts some sweetness and body (and is used by extract brewers). Irish moss and polycar are used for clarity.

What you should do is spend some time at www.howtobrew.com to get familiar with the whole process and what the ingredients are. It's a great site to get familiar with all the basics of homebrewing.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 11-25-2006, 04:36 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Malt, water, hops, yeast. That's it.

You have dry malt extract, but all that is is sugar extracted from grain and dehydrated. Once you've done a few batches, you'll want to look into steeping specialty grains to add more flavors to the extract. Then you are on the slippery slope into the dark hole of all grain, yeast farming, hop growing ...

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply