Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Influencing mouth feel?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Influencing mouth feel?

How can you do it? My first batch has been bottled for the weeks now and I'm very happy with how the taste has progressed. The recipe is an extract Hyland Oregon Pale Ale clone from my LHBS with specially grains and the hops notched up a bit. Not my preferred style, but I wanted a recipe that would be ready in a relatively short period of time.

Anyway, I'm not very satisfied with the mouth feel of the beer. It's so thin that I almost feel compelled to chug it. Are there any simple steps that I can take to give a little more mouth feel to future batches?

Thanks!

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 04:07 AM   #2
kylevester
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Some general things:

Extract -- you don't know exactly how the maltster produced it, so it could be more or less fermentable than a recipe expects
Grains -- Carapils, Carafoam, Carahell, and wheat are the most common ways to add body and mouthfeel to brews
Sugars -- adding Lactose or Malto-Dextrine to the last 10 minutes of the boil is a method to use too, lactose adds sweetness and a bit of body, Malto-Dextrine adds body and mouthfeel

For all-grain, controlling your mash temperature determines the final mouthfeel. Low mashing makes a drier beer.

If you do extract, you can partial mash with the above grains or add the sugars. Ask your LHBS what they may recommend. They could point you to a completely different brew that could still be ready quickly. Good luck!

Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
How can you do it? My first batch has been bottled for the weeks now and I'm very happy with how the taste has progressed. The recipe is an extract Hyland Oregon Pale Ale clone from my LHBS with specially grains and the hops notched up a bit. Not my preferred style, but I wanted a recipe that would be ready in a relatively short period of time.

Anyway, I'm not very satisfied with the mouth feel of the beer. It's so thin that I almost feel compelled to chug it. Are there any simple steps that I can take to give a little more mouth feel to future batches?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester View Post
Some general things:

Extract -- you don't know exactly how the maltster produced it, so it could be more or less fermentable than a recipe expects
Grains -- Carapils, Carafoam, Carahell, and wheat are the most common ways to add body and mouthfeel to brews
Sugars -- adding Lactose or Malto-Dextrine to the last 10 minutes of the boil is a method to use too, lactose adds sweetness and a bit of body, Malto-Dextrine adds body and mouthfeel

For all-grain, controlling your mash temperature determines the final mouthfeel. Low mashing makes a drier beer.

If you do extract, you can partial mash with the above grains or add the sugars. Ask your LHBS what they may recommend. They could point you to a completely different brew that could still be ready quickly. Good luck!

^also flaked wheat, oats, etc. but they do add to the haze.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #4
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Nothing to the brew in the bottle. It's the MASH!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #5
MTate37
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylevester
Some general things:

Will these grains change the taste of the recipe, our do they only increase the body? How much should be added to improve bay for a 5 gallon batch?

Untappd: mtate37 - Untappd Wishlist

Old 10-02-2012, 01:22 AM   #6
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 77

You can also use maltodextrine powder if you don't want to mess with additional grains.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

To add to the confusion, if you use one of the flaked grains you need a base grain to go along with it to convert the starches to sugar.
If I understand it correctly, 2 row malted barley has enough enzymes to convert an additional 25% starch to sugar along with its own conversion.
So to convert 1/2 lb of flaked oats I would need 2 lbs of 2 row malted barley.
Is that correct?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
To add to the confusion, if you use one of the flaked grains you need a base grain to go along with it to convert the starches to sugar.
If I understand it correctly, 2 row malted barley has enough enzymes to convert an additional 25% starch to sugar along with its own conversion.
So to convert 1/2 lb of flaked oats I would need 2 lbs of 2 row malted barley.
Is that correct?
To be honest I have done a 50/50 2-row to flaked wheat (BM's blue moon clone) and I haven't had an issue with non conversion. Its hard to find a realistic ratio for this. I have also heard to use 6-row in this case, but another article I read said modern 2-row is just as equipped with enzymes.

So pretty much YMMV.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 297 Times on 248 Posts

I heard you could use DME instead of priming sugar to prime and that would get you better mouthfeel. No idea how much to use instead of sugar or if it works in all situations, if at all. I was planning on trying when I brew a Guinness clone because I heard (again, not sure of truth) that it would make for smaller bubbles and better mouthfeel to make up for the fact that I am going to bottle instead of kegging with nitrogen.

Again, not sure what the source was, but I do remember the source specifically talking about doing this for stouts/porters.

Anyone have any experience with DME instead of priming sugar? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTate37 View Post
Will these grains change the taste of the recipe, our do they only increase the body? How much should be added to improve bay for a 5 gallon batch?
Carapils/Carafoam won't. Carahell may, just a touch, I believe it's essentially the same as 10L crystal.

I generally add 1 lb of one of them to a batch and I've seen others here suggest .25 lbs as being enough.

Quick Reply