Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infections when bottling USUALLY

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteo57 View Post
It would probably be easiest just more expensive! I had thought of that, just didn't want to spend the extra cash at the time.
Thanks for everyone's replies and info. Will have to check out a few things before I bottle again.
There was ZERO extra time or cost for me. It is simple... you need a racking cane, and picnic tap which I'm certain you already have both of those. If you want to get the rubber stopper for about 1$ that is your choice I have read some people not using it but I do.

That said if it isn't your spigot or priming solution it might be your bottling wand if you use one. Take it apart (tip, valve, and spring) and clean it well. Those springs can easily harbor bacteria.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #22
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

For what it's worth, I had an extremely tenacious infection that sounds very much like yours. I think it was a wild yeast, because I didn't develop any particular off flavors but body thinned out and the beer just kept carbing until the bottles started exploding. I tried bleach bombing everything, but eventually i just ended up tossing everything plastic or rubber and starting fresh. It's tough to know when to cut your losses. Now I ferment in cornies and bottle straight from the fermentation vessel.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1052

Kegging is easier because there is no risk of overcarbing due to too much sugar or bottling early. Check to see that that is not the case.

Also, I second the spigot risk. Even if it wasn't the original cause, you still have to take it apart and clean it and spray it with sanitizer after each bottling.

How is your bottle cleaning process? You have to make sure that each bottle is cleaned and sanitized. You could even place a pile of bottles in the oven and sterilize if you are not confident. 250F for 15 minutes ought to do it.

It's entirely possible that there is some airborne contaminant entering your bottles, but I'd wonder why it wasn't infecting your kegs too (or are you not letting them stay filled long enough to tell??)

Old 02-27-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
How is your bottle cleaning process? You have to make sure that each bottle is cleaned and sanitized. You could even place a pile of bottles in the oven and sterilize if you are not confident. 250F for 15 minutes ought to do it.
I do 340* for 1 hour according to Palmer. Do you do only 15 min?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1052

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
I do 340* for 1 hour according to Palmer. Do you do only 15 min?
I haven't actually looked up information. Just going by pressure canning requirements. But the pressure might actually be helping some too.

It's as easy to do 350 as any other temp, so why not? Just make sure to cool them down gradually.

EDIT: (From Wikipedia) The proper time and temperature for Dry-Heat sterilization is 160°C (320°F) for 2 hours or 170°C (340°F) for 1 hour. Instruments should be dry before sterilization since water will interfere with the process. Dry-heat destroys microorganisms by causing coagulation of proteins.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1216 Times on 804 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
I haven't actually looked up information. Just going by pressure canning requirements. But the pressure might actually be helping some too.

It's as easy to do 350 as any other temp, so why not? Just make sure to cool them down gradually.

EDIT: (From Wikipedia) The proper time and temperature for Dry-Heat sterilization is 160°C (320°F) for 2 hours or 170°C (340°F) for 1 hour. Instruments should be dry before sterilization since water will interfere with the process. Dry-heat destroys microorganisms by causing coagulation of proteins.
In pressure canning, you've got all that steam to help. It moves the heat about far more effectively than air does.

"Be excellent to each other." -Benjamin Franklin

Quick Reply