Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infections when bottling USUALLY

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #11
Matteo57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

The beer goes from tasting good to defintetly a drain pour beer.
The beer also goes from fine carbonation to I pop the cap and the foam starts overflowing from the bottle.

I usually go off calculators for how much sugar I need to add. Usually it's around 4oz give or take depending on the beer style.

I have never taken off the spigot for my bottling bucket, I didn't know I needed to. I usually let star san run through the spigot for about 20-30 seconds and then soak the pour spout on the outside in star san and with a spray bottle also spray starsan all around the outside where the spigot is.

I do not boil the caps, I do let them sit in starsan for at least a few minutes before I put them on and cap them.

Yes, all of the bottling tubing, cane, everything gets rinsed thorougly and then I run starsan through it also while running it through the spigot.

The latest beer in question is an oatmeal chocolate stout. This beer tasted great right into the bottles, tasted even better after carbing up in the bottle and sitting for about a month. I brewed it back in mid October and maybe about 2 weeks or so I had one after letting them sit a bit and noticed it tasted off. Tried it again last night and it is definitely off. I can't tell you the actual flavors of it, but it tastes BAD! I can try another one tomorrow and state what flavors I taste and maybe that might help also? There is something wrong with it, no doubt.

When you all boil the water for your priming sugar, does anyone else just microwave the water and sugar to a boil and let it boil in the micro for a min or so? I have actually done it both ways (micro and stove top) though so I don't think that is the problem.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #12
Matteo57
Recipes 

One more question.... How long will most beers last at room temp or cooler before going sour? I really don't think it is just going sour, but I have wondered about how long I can keep most homebrews before they go sour without infection

Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
DeafSmith
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/spig...ection-121734/

Old 02-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2008 Times on 1759 Posts
Likes Given: 1486

Yup. I still say never removing the spigot for cleaning & the mounting hole area as well is the most likely culprit.The seals and mounting hole can harbor residue that nasties like to live in. The starsan running through it can't get to these areas.

Old 02-26-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
BigRedOne
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are the bottles being subjected to light? Just wondering, as that could be another reason bottled beers go bad other than infection.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #16
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafSmith View Post
I agree, this is the likely cause. I did about 5 batches before I ran across the thread in the link. Sure enough, contaminated spigot. I have since switched to a 2 part spigot which is much easier to take apart to clean.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #17
Matteo57
Recipes 

My first beer that I bottled actually got infected.... This sound odd with brand new equipment if this was the case?
Possibly the first batch was from something else and other batches are from a dirty spigot?

Old 02-27-2012, 05:24 AM   #18
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Everything I've read says that boiling in the microwave for only a minute isn't enough. Most instructions say to boil for 10 minutes. That's probably overkill, but I know I wouldn't drink untreated water that was only boiled for a minute. I'd take the spigot apart, and I'd boil your sugar water for 10 minutes.

Primary: Beer / Secondary: Beer / Lagering: Old beer.

Old 02-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #19
DeafSmith

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Since you are already set up for kegging, why not just bottle from the keg, using a counter pressure bottle filler, or a Blickman beer gun, or Beer Muncher's Bottle Filler (BMBF), or Bowie bottle filler or whatever?

Old 02-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #20
Matteo57
Recipes 

It would probably be easiest just more expensive! I had thought of that, just didn't want to spend the extra cash at the time.
Thanks for everyone's replies and info. Will have to check out a few things before I bottle again.

Quick Reply