The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is that infection on the top of my brew? (7 days in)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
TheAvocado
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Is that infection on the top of my brew? (7 days in)

I decided to take a look before I transferred to secondary (which I'm even considering now doing after reading threads on this forum!), and I saw what looks to be a little bit of growth on the top. I'm not sure if it's yeast or bacteria, but it's 7 days in and I wanted to ask and see if it could be infected before moving on.

Last edited by TheAvocado; 12-05-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: fixed picture

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

post a pic without it it´s hard to tell, what is not hard to tell is that most of the times this questions it´s asked it´s just nothing...

Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #3
TheAvocado
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obliviousbrew View Post
post a pic without it it´s hard to tell, what is not hard to tell is that most of the times this questions it´s asked it´s just nothing...
I fixed it - link wasn't working for some reason. I know it probably gets asked a ton, but I work in a microbiology lab and I was 50/50 on infection. I figured if it were infected, it would have many, many more cells after a week of incubation (25 celcius) but it doesn't look too dense. However I'm a complete newbie to homebrewing, so I thought I would ask

Old 12-05-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Obliviousbrew
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 168

looks like yeast draft and maybe some hop pellets gunk? it seems fine to me. Let it ride a week more, give it a sniff and a taste you´ll know if it is infected, it´s harder to infect a batch than what you may think. To early to worry .
Edit: also 25 C it´s very warm for most styles, what are you brewing?

Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
TheAvocado
Recipes 

Err I actually didn't use any hops - it was from kit my LHBS recommended for a first timer. I believe it's by Brewferm and called "Triple" (Belgian Ale?). The included instructions said 25 Celcius, so I set my thermostat to 77 Farenheit and have been letting it sit for a week now.

See I thoguht I infected it when I stuck my whole hand inside the primary because I hadn't tightened the spigot enough and it was leaking all over my kitchen floor :P I had washed my hands, but there's always going to be bacteria hiding around.

EDIT:
Side question about using my hydrometer:
My lab has given me permission to grab a graduated cylinder for a day - would that be good for just scooping up some beer and throwing the hydrometer in there? I would sanitize with the 70% ethanol we have lying around, but I'm not sure if I could just use a mug at home or something.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yeah, I thought it was just yeast rafts and hop gunk but then realised that there's a sort of half moon shaped, film like substance bottom middle and up. Thought it was just reflecting the lighting or your ceiling at first

Probably better to leave it in primary for another couple of weeks and then decide if it's infected, or not, because, if you rack to secondary now, you might risk infecting other equipment. That may not be all that problematic for you though so it's really your call.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
TheAvocado
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Yeah, I thought it was just yeast rafts and hop gunk but then realised that there's a sort of half moon shaped, film like substance bottom middle and up. Thought it was just reflecting the lighting or your ceiling at first
I think it is a reflection of my lamp I just opened it up and it's a pretty evenly distributed dark brown with those little things floating on top - no half moon!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Wow!!!!!!!!

My eyesight must be better than I give it credit for these days

Even if you didn't add any hops yourself there will will be hop gunk floating around from the hopped extract kit can you used. Sticking an un-sanitized arm in there isn't the most prudent of actions to undertake if infection avoidance is something you're keen to achieve Haviung said that, you'll probably be fine and I'm sure you'll enjoy that Trippel. Will probably need quite some time maturing in bottles before it reaches its prime. Bottle it and get something else started as soon as you can, or even better get a couple more fermenters and start multiple batches.

Best to go for something that is easy to fill, with the least surface area contact, as smooth as possible so that sanitizing is effective. I used to use a 200ml measuring cup but have recently got hold of a 60ml hypodermic syringe that I sanitize, inside and out, then introduce the very tip into the wort, draw up until full, deposit in my graduated cylinder and repeat 4 times.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 AM   #9
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Get a turkey baster! Sanitize it and you won't have a problem

Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 458

It looks like my beer in a bucket. Does it smell like beer? That is usually a good indication.

I was doing a wild/lambic one time and my kid asked me "What smells like banana bread?".

Quick Reply