The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #1
Erg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Infection?

I am brewing AHS holiday brew that has been in the primary for 3 weeks still seems to have a large krausen on top. I'm thinking thats a little long to be fermenting. My air lock still bubbles about every 10 - 15 seconds. 3 days ago I racked it into a secondary to get it off the yeast cake. Then the next night after racking, it looks like there is another yeast cake at the bottom and the top has lots of bubbles. ( as seen in the photo ). The gravity is correct and doesn’t smell like Indian food in a used diaper. Does this look/sound normal? Should I bottle it soon? Thanks for your reply.

1.jpg  

I feel sorry for people who don't drink....When they wake up in the morning....thats the best they feel all day...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
benbradford
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

That looks like fermentation to me, and I have had a beer go that long. The only way to be sure that fermentation has stopped is to take sequential measurements of the gravity over a period of 2-4 days. If the desired fg has been reached, and you want to stop further fermentation, dropping the temperature would accomplish that.

The infections that I have had, have looked more white and powdery in a way.

I love this picture...it is just grose

infection-7.6.11.jpg  

I think it's too bad that everybody's decided to turn on drugs, I don't think drugs are the problem. Crime is the problem. Cops are the problem. Money's the problem. But drugs are just drugs.
Jerry Garcia

Old 10-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
SenorPepe
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Looks normal from here.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Erg
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would it " referment" in the secondary? Make a new yeast cake and everything? Plus the fg is correct.

I feel sorry for people who don't drink....When they wake up in the morning....thats the best they feel all day...

Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 PM   #5
birvine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Whatever is going on, if it still seems active, don't bottle. You don't want bottle bombs. Yeast work in mysterious ways and your beer may need more time to complete. Don't risk a dangerous situation.

Brent

Quick Reply