Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infected bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
OilBaron
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default Infected bottle

This does not look appetizing, and I am 6 1/2 weeks into the process. I just bottled these 3 days ago. Here is a video of my test / monitoring bottle. The actual sealed bottles show the same issue.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Looks like you're just stirring up the settlings.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
OilBaron Likes This 
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

You bottled three days ago, the yeast is swimming around eating sugar, and kicking stuff up, just like inside your fermenter. Do yourself a favor and walk away from your bottles for another minimu 2 weeks and 4 days. Don't stare at them. Don't move them around, don't hold them up to psychedelic disco lights, just put them in the closet like the rest of us, and forget about them til they're ready.

Fermentation (which is what carbonation is) is often ugly and stinky, and perfectly normal.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
stikman33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, thats normal sediment. I don't touch my stuff once its bottled to let it settle out nicely for at least 2+ weeks. (I'm nervous, I typically drink one at 2 weeks, but it most gets better in another week or two.) Throw it in the fridge for a few days and let it cool down, then ready to go! I avoid moving them at all if possible, I want the final product to be as settled as possible.

I brought some homebrew to a friends house once and he was doing exactly what you are, looking at it, stirring it around. I told him he could keep it, but let it sit in the fridge for a few days before he drank it! We have probably all tasted a beer that was poured with the yeast, its not as pleasant an experience.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
OilBaron
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Haha those were fan lights. Ok that is good to know. I figured the femernation was completed by now.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
stikman33
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, the primary fermentation is complete. When you ad the bottling sugar though you kick start things again, the yeast eat the little sugar you gave them and produce the Co2 that gives you carbonation

Quick Reply