Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Infected bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Infected bottle

I opened a bottle of my oatmeal stout last night and when I poured it, the entire glass was foam.. no beer at all ( well maybe 1/16th of an inch in the bottom) I let it settle and tasted it. I knew it was an infection by the foam but wanted to get an idea from you guys what it may have been. It tasted very sharp and medicinal. I think I have heard the term astringent and that seems to describe it. I opened another and it was fine.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
milholen
Recipes 

hmm sounds like an infected bottle to me. I don't know how likely this is to have a single bottle infected. Did you use new bottles or clean up some old ones? How did you clean and sanitize your bottles? Are all your beers evenly carbonated (other than this one did they all carbonate to the same degree)?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by milholen View Post
hmm sounds like an infected bottle to me. I don't know how likely this is to have a single bottle infected. Did you use new bottles or clean up some old ones? How did you clean and sanitize your bottles? Are all your beers evenly carbonated (other than this one did they all carbonate to the same degree)?
old bottles.. I soak in oxy clean then scrub with a bottle brush until visibly clean then soak in starsan to remove any oxy scale.. dry then store upside down in closed cases. resanitize just prior to bottling with starsan... yes, all others seem fine
BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply